The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Deputy Chief Executive Officer (GMG/SEG 3), Kingston Public & Jubilee Hospital
Job SummaryTo administer, direct and coordinate all activities of the hospital carrying out its mission and objectives in the provision of health care, furtherance of education and research and participation in community health programmes.
- Strategic Plans
- Patients' Charter
- Technical Advice
- Quality Assurance Program
- Performance and other reports
- Competent Staff
- Mass Casualty and Disaster Management plans.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
A. Management and Administrative
- Leads the development of the Hospital's strategic plans covering short, medium and long term objectives of the health services and facilities, with attention to modernization, including the use of appropriate technology
- Manages the operations of the hospital in accordance with normative standards, sound business principles and within the framework of established policies, rules and regulations for the conduct of the institution's business.
- Performs as Secretary to the Hospital Management Committee and in this capacity, be responsible for orientation and special briefing of members of that Committee
- Advises and makes recommendations to the Committee for decisions on issues relating to the effective and efficient management of the hospital.
- Ensures that the directives of the Board and Management Committee are properly implemented within the hospital services.
- Develops and implements plans in consultation with staff of the hospital, for the overall improvement in service standards of the institution on a client centered basis
- In collaboration with the CEO, develops and implements plans in consultation with staff of the hospital, for the overall improvement in service standards of the institution on a client basis, creating and or encouraging linkages with centers of excellence, health research centers, other leading hospitals and health institutions.
- Organizes the functions and operations of the hospital in agreement with service levels and standards, and establishes a formal means of accountability from those to whom duties have been delegated.
- Establishes and maintains effective liaison/integration among various departments (including medical departments) of the hospital as well as between the hospital and other health institutions to which it relates directly.
- Ensures the establishment and maintenance of a quality assurance/continuous quality improvement program involving all appropriate staff
- Ensures the implementation of an up-to-date Patient Charter, including the investigation of complaints from patients and other members of the public and provision of requisite reports to the Regional Health Authority.
- Develops and maintain linkages with adjoining communities which support the institution goals and health priorities.
- Ensures that systems are in place for the safety of patients, the public and staff on hospital premises, including the provision of protection form occupational hazards and investigating of accidents.
- Be responsible for the preparation and implementation of mass casualty and disaster management plans for the hospital.
B. Financial Management and Control
- Directs the preparation of the annual budget for submission to the Chief Executive Officer
- Implements measures to ensure optimum use of the Hospital's resources and assets and maximizing fee collection
- Reviews and acts on reports and recommendations of authorized audits and/or inspections of the hospital.
C. Human Resource Management
- Ensures the implementation of effective Human Resource Management and Industrial Relations policies to ensure a high level of employee morale and productivity
- Provides direction and guidance to direct reports through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and takes corrective action where necessary to improve performance and achieve organizational goals.
- Establishes a system that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the organizational goals
- Provides opportunities to develop personal and professional skills that are required for health services delivery.
- Participates in national professional activities which relates to the delivery of health care services generally and hospital services, in particular
- Performs other related duties as may be required for the achievement of the objectives of the Hospital.
- Agreed objectives are achieved within agreed timeframes.
- Expenditure remain within the overall budget and there is efficiency of operations
- Health outcomes of the institution are in line with Services Level Agreement
- The objectives of the Board are satisfactorily executed.
- There is accurate and timely communication of information within the scope of the incumbent's responsibility.
- Excellent strategic planning, decision making and coordinating skills
- Excellent teambuilding skills
- Well developed human relations and leadership skills
- Sound judgment and initiative
- Sound financial management skills
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Knowledge of social, cultural and economic factors impacting on health
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- A B.Sc. or Masters Degree in management, health service management, health service management, public administration, public sector management or in a related field with specialization in the health sector
- Five (5) years working experience at a senior management level in a related area with extensive exposure to a Management Information System and computerized working environment
In addition the candidate should possess:
- Sound forecasting, strategic planning and leadership skills
- Excellent time management, negotiating and human relations skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Sound knowledge of government legislation regulating the operations of the Ministry of Health and the Regional Health Authority
- Well developed skills in the management of financial and material resources.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB:
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals
- To institute immediate and long-term plans for the effective operations and
- sustained viability of the hospital
- To authorize expenditure in accordance within established procedures and approved budget
- To take disciplinary action in accordance with the Regional Health Authority's/Ministry of Health's policies