The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Deputy Commissioner Appeals (GMG/SEG 5)
Job SummaryApplications are being invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position of Deputy Commissioner Appeals (GMG/SEG 5) in the Revenue Appeals Division of this Ministry.
To manage, lead and direct a team of Assistant Commissioners in the settlement of appeal cases brought before the Division. The incumbent is required to assist the Commissioner with the technical, professional, and administrative aspects of case resolution; oversee and coordinates the independent, effective and efficient quasi-judiciary proceedings in line with established guidelines; and issue and or recommend decisions on domestic and international tax (Customs) controversies adjudicated.
Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Plans and oversees the completion of tax related research activities designed to provide information regarding current tax controversy issues, and facilitates the proper documentation and storage of findings in the database and/or library.
- Provides technical supervision in matters involving various tax types.
- Monitors case progress and ensures corrective actions are taken where necessary.
- Reviews and approves drafted appeal decisions.
- Conducts hearings, summon witnesses (as necessary), marshals evidence from all parties to the case; and grants extensions of time to produce such evidence.
- Reviews all procedural documents received, and ensures compliance with appropriate regulatory bodies, as necessary.
- Offers research guidance and stimulates new research directions, and ensures documentation of findings.
- Evaluates the performance of direct reports; assesses their capabilities and recommends capacity building interventions.
- Serves as a resource for the Commissioner by providing a full range of tax law interpretations, and case law precedents; and assessing audit techniques and application of relevant International Practices.
Required Knowledge/Skills include:
- Expert knowledge of revenue administration, including revenue laws and related precedents
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant International Principles governing Accounting, Auditing, Commerce, Customs, Trade, and Law
- Working knowledge of investigative policies, methods and objective
- Working knowledge of judicial procedures and the rules of evidence
- Working knowledge of international taxation treatments with specific emphasis on double taxation agreements
- Excellent negotiating and persuading skills
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Acuity to be objective/High reputation for integrity
Qualifications & Experience:
- A post-graduate qualification in Accounting / Business Administration / Revenue Administration, or the equivalent;
- BSc. in Accounting/Management Studies/ LLB Degree or its equivalent; and
- At least seven (7) years specialized experience in the field of taxation;
- Salary $3,047,373.00 - $3,622,369 per annum
- Travelling $1,341,624.00 per annum
We thank all for applying, however please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.