The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Deputy Commissioner, Rehabilitation & Probation Aftercare (GMG/SEG 6)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the post of Deputy Commissioner, Rehabilitation & Probation Aftercare (GMG/SEG 6) within the Department of Correctional Services.
Reporting to the Commissioner of Corrections, the Deputy Commissioner oversees the Rehabilitation and Probation Aftercare services within the department. The incumbent also plans, directs monitors and evaluates the implementation of strategic plans to ensure they are in alignment with state priorities.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Leads the development of the strategic direction of the Division.
- Leads the development and implementation of the Division’s operational plan and budget.
- Provides technical advice on issues of Probation Aftercare and Rehabilitation to the Commissioner.
- Develops implements and enforce policies and procedures to guide the operations of the division.
- Prepares and submits periodic performance review reports and other specialized reports as required.
- Oversees the development and maintenance of a database on the Division’s activities.
- Oversees the planning, development and implementation of appropriate rehabilitation programmes and projects in keeping with the aims and objectives of the department.
- Participates in all matters of national importance as it relates to Offender Management, and Reform of the Justice System.
- Liaises with key stakeholders to facilitate high level involvement in the development and execution of the division’s programmes.
- Conducts research on international trends in Corrections Science to assist in the development of rehabilitation strategies, which are current and appropriate.
- Keeps abreast of trends and changes in the Criminal Justice System Offender Management Strategies and makes recommendation for changes where necessary to enhance the department’s planning and programmes.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reports, prepares performance appraisals and recommends and/or initiates corrective action where necessary to improve performance and/or attaining established personal and/or organizational goals;
- Establishes and maintains an environment that fosters a culture of teamwork, employee empowerment and commitment to the division and organization’s goals.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Ability to design, write and effectively communicate the requirements of complex processes to those involved in their implementation;
- Sound understanding of Criminal Justice System, the relevant Acts/Laws and other regulations;
- Knowledge in Human Growth Development and factors contributing to Crime and Violence;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and strong persuasive presentation skills;
- Excellent analytical, diagnostic and constructive thinking skills;
- Good interpersonal and people management skills;
- Excellent planning and organizing skills;
- Strong leadership skills;
- Proficiency in the use of relevant computer applications.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Post Graduate Degree in Criminology or related discipline from a recognized University;
- Project Management Professional Certification;
- At least five (5) years in a Senior Management position;
- Knowledge of Rehabilitation and Probation Aftercare Services.
Salary Rate: ($3,547,018 - $4,216,290) per annum and all other applicable allowances.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.