The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Guyana Tourism Authority is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Deputy Director.
Under the general supervision of the Executive Director, an incumbent of this position is responsible for assisting the Director in promoting Guyana and its facilities as a tourism destination for nature, adventure, leisure travel, group tours, conventions, conferences, meetings, and special events, through an aggressive marketing and advertising campaign. In addition, this position serves for and in place of the Director in his/her absence. Supervision is exercised over subordinate staff. Does related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Participates in planning and implementation of programs and projects aimed at promoting the development of tourism in Guyana
- Oversees the Office of the Guyana Tourism Authority operations to include general budgeting, purchasing, inventory control, etc.;
- Participates in planning, formulating and recommending policies and programs which will further overall tourism objectives;
- Identifies and participates in programs for the promotion of Guyana as an Eco, nature, adventure, leisure and business destination;
- Serves as liaison between tour operators, meeting planners, travel agents, hotels, attractions, meeting facilities, conference centers, restaurants, event coordinators etc.;
- Solicits corporate group and tourist business by participation in trade shows and maintaining industry group and corporate contacts;
- Initiates and maintains frequent contact with group tour operators, motor coach operators, receptive tour operators and international tour operators to solicit business for Guyana;
- Assists various agencies, both public and private, in developing strategies for increasing visitor volume and expenditures;
- Assists local and regional organizations in building the awareness of the tourism/travel industry and of the Office of Tourism;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with major tourism attractions to develop partnership opportunities including co-op advertising and marketing, tradeshows, coupons, packages, etc.;
- Participates in the development, review and distribution of brochures, articles, press releases, etc., on tourism-related subjects including attractions, events, services, facilities, tourism marketing and public relations;
- Participates in trade shows, sales missions, and familiarization tours for journalists, travel agents, tour operators, meeting planners and corporate travel planners;
- Analyze market research and disseminates data on tourism trends and the economic impact of tourism to the Country;
- Works with advertising agencies to create campaigns to promote Guyana to relevant market segments;
- Participates in designing, developing and implementing an annual marketing plan;
- Prepares a variety of reports and studies related to promoting tourism in Guyana;
- Directs, develops, mentors and trains Department Heads within the Office of the Guyana Tourism Authority.
- Keeps informed on current trends in the travel/tourism industry and of the uses and capabilities of the variety of destinations in the Country;
- May perform other incidental tasks, as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES:
Good knowledge of tourism development and promotional activities in Guyana; good knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques used in tourism marketing, promotional and public relations, local tourism development, tour packaging, and tourism event development and coordination; good knowledge of issues, concerns and impediments affecting tourism development; good knowledge of the geographic and business area layout of communities within the Hinterland, as well as Georgetown and the Coast; working knowledge of the methods and techniques of program management; ability to supervise the work of others; ability to effectively use computer applications such as spreadsheets, word processing, calendar, e-mail and database software; ability to meet and deal effectively with people at all levels in the public and private sector; ability to read, write, speak, understand and communicate effectively in English to perform the essential functions of the position. The person should exemplify sound judgment; integrity; resourcefulness; creativity; problem solving; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
At least four years of experience in tourism development, advertising, business development, marketing activities, or closely related field, for a public or private enterprise, two years of which must have been at a supervisory or administrative level.