The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Deputy Librarian (Collections)
Job SummaryThe UWI (Mona), Library is seeking innovative, energetic and dynamic Deputy Librarians who work closely with the Campus Librarian and Library staff to achieve transformational change and to foster a culture of collaboration and communication.
Applicants must possess at least a Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management position. The applicants must also demonstrate a commitment to research and scholarship and have a leadership style that is consultative and inclusive.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Be responsible for the management, coordination and direction of collection development, technical services, digital initiatives and library systems.
- Formulate library policies and procedures based on current and emerging trends in academic library operations in keeping with the academic priorities of the Mona Campus.
- Work with Heads of Technical Services and Systems to provide vision, and lead in matters to redefine collections in all formats, technology use, and preservation
- Interpret issues with regards to current trends and developments in library technical services and communicate these to the Campus Librarian
- Provide leadership and strategic direction in digital initiatives including the creation and maintenance of a Digital Centre
- Develop strategic directions and work closely with relevant Library staff including the Deputy Librarian Public and Outreach Services to ensure coordinated handling of all aspects of technical services, library information systems and support for information literacy and instruction.
- Plan new projects and activities including new initiatives in Technical and Digital Initiatives
- Work with the Head of Systems for all matters in relation to evaluation and maintenance of the Integrated Library System
- Work with the Preservation and Conservation Librarian in the management of the Bindery, including income generating activities
- Collaborate with the Deputy Librarian, Public and Outreach Services, and Special Projects, regarding disaster and emergency management, and occupational health and safety, and liaise with the safety and security management consultants
- Assist the Campus Librarian in managing, directing and monitoring the activities of standing and ad hoc committees, teams, etc.