The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Deputy Solicitor General (JLG/LO 6)- Commercial Affairs
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of Deputy Solicitor General (JLG/LO 6)- Commercial Affairs in the Attorney General’s Chambers.
Under the general direction of the Solicitor General, the incumbent is responsible for providing expert advice and guidance on commercial legal matters; for contributing to the management and strategic leadership of the Attorney General’s Chambers and for leading and managing a portfolio of assigned Ministry Legal Services Units (LSUs).
Administration, Leadership and Management
- Supports the Solicitor General in the overall leadership and management of the Attorney General’s Chambers by leading and managing the Commercial Division including recommending the vision, strategic direction and priorities of the Commercial Division; developing and implementing strategies, policies and projects aimed at fulfilling the Attorney General’s Chambers’ mission;
- Sits as a member of the Executive Committee developing and implementing the Attorney General’s Chambers’ strategic and operational plans;
- Leads and oversees the work and resources of the division and a portfolio of assigned LSUs by:
- Developing and managing Division’s operational, human and financial resource plans and activities;
- Strategic planning to determine nature and scope of legal services required and subsequent development of appropriate delivery processes;
- Establishing and managing a network of senior level relationships with client Ministries to work collaboratively to meet client needs and achieve Attorney General’s Chambers objectives;
- Leading and overseeing Directors and senior counsel providing legal advice and guidance of all legal work in the Division including guidance on all major legal issues, major opinions, legal review of documents and briefings/correspondence prepared for senior officials;
- Monitoring and evaluating performance, resolving performance issues and supporting career development;
- Represents the Solicitor General at official functions and events when requested;
- Assists Solicitor General in negotiating Memoranda of Understanding for legal services with client Ministries and with input from client organizations;
- Monitors legal issues and judicial decisions and reviews legal risk assessments relating to major, complex, diverse and/or controversial issues having broad reaching impacts in order to identify trends, resolve complex issues, develop options and strategies, providing advice and guidance to the Attorney General and Solicitor General, other Attorney General’s Chambers’ attorneys and
- Represents the Government of Jamaica at conferences, seminars, workshops both nationally and internationally; and, on the boards and panels of local and international organizations;
- Assists the Solicitor General with the administrative oversight of the Chambers;
- Oversees various internal Committees aimed at promoting and achieving Attorney General’s Chambers’ objectives.
- Advises ministries, departments and agencies on a range of legal issues relating to Commercial Law including Law of Contracts, Company Law, Labour Law, Sale of Goods, Commercial Arbitration, Bills of Exchange and Negotiable Instruments, Banking and Finance Law, Construction Law
- Drafts and vets loan documentation, contracts and other commercial agreements
- Structures the sale and acquisition of assets of the Government
- Drafts and Vets legal opinions
- Reviews Government Contracts to ensure their legality
- Acts as legal advisor to Government technocrats negotiating commercial transactions, including domestic and international financing transactions and international project financing transactions
- Prepares and presents matters in court and at the Industrial Disputes Tribunal
- Vets and comments on Cabinet Submissions, Bills and draft legislation relating to Commercial Law matters
- Represents the Government on Boards of Inquiry and Arbitration Hearings, meetings of enterprise teams, boards, task forces and other committees.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- In-depth and extensive knowledge of the Laws of Jamaica and Commercial Law.
- Highly developed knowledge of the mandate, objectives, strategies, policies, and environment of the Attorney General’s Chambers and assigned LSUs.
- Highly developed knowledge of strategic and operational management approaches.
- Excellent Leadership and management skills to create vision and strategy, mobilize people, uphold integrity and respect, collaborate with partners and stakeholders, promote innovation and guide change, achieve results.
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and people management skills
- Highly developed research and analytical skills
- Excellent ability to interpret legal documents
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including administrative and legal research applications.
Minimum Required Qualification/Experience:
- Bachelors of Laws (LLB) with relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience (i.e. At least 10 years’ experience in handling major commercial transactions)
- Certificate in Legal Education
- At least five (5) years’ experience in managing human resources.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB:
- Work beyond normal office hours
- Required to travel locally and overseas
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.