The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Deputy Solicitor General (JLG/LO 6)-General Legal Advice
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant position of Deputy Solicitor General (JLG/LO 6)-General Legal Advice in the Attorney General’s Chambers.
Under the general direction of the Solicitor General, the incumbent is responsible for providing expert advice and guidance on general legal advice; for contributing to the management and strategic leadership of the Attorney General’s Chambers and for leading and managing a portfolio of assigned Ministry Legal Services Units (LSUs).
Administration, Leadership and Management
- Supports the Solicitor General in the overall leadership and management of the Attorney General’s Chambers by leading and managing the general legal advice division including recommending the vision, strategic direction and priorities of the Division; developing and implementing strategies, policies and projects aimed at fulfilling the Attorney General’s Chambers’ mission;
- Sits as a member of the Executive Committee developing and implementing the Attorney General’s Chambers’ strategic and operational plans;
- Leads and oversees the work and resources of the Division and a portfolio of assigned LSUs by:
- Developing and managing Division’s operational, human and financial resource plans and activities;
- Strategic planning to determine nature and scope of legal services required and subsequent development of appropriate delivery processes;
- Establishing and managing a network of senior level relationships with client Ministries to work collaboratively to meet client needs and achieve Attorney General’s Chambers’ objectives;
- Leading and overseeing Directors and senior counsel providing legal advice and guidance of all legal work in assigned organization(s) including guidance on all major legal issues, major opinions, legal review of documents and briefings/correspondence prepared for senior officials;
- Monitoring and evaluating performance, resolving performance issues and supporting career development;
- Represents the Solicitor General at official functions and events when requested;
- Assists the Solicitor General in negotiating Memoranda of Understanding for legal services with client Ministries and with input from client organizations;
- Monitors legal issues and judicial decisions and reviews legal risk assessments relating to major, complex, diverse and/or controversial issues having broad reaching impacts in order to identify trends, resolve complex issues, develop options and strategies, providing advice and guidance to the Attorney General and Solicitor General, other Attorney General’s Chambers’ attorneys;
- Represents the Government of Jamaica at conferences, seminars, workshops both nationally and internationally; and, on the boards and panels of local and international organizations;
- Assists the Solicitor General with the administrative oversight of the Chambers;
- Oversees various internal Committees aimed at promoting and achieving AG Chambers Attorney General’s Chambers’ objectives. Assigning accident files to attorneys in the various divisions
- Supervising and evaluating reporting staff
- Organizing monthly meetings and presentation of papers
- Ensuring the efficient Assignment of legal matters to attorneys in the division
- Advises ministries, departments, agencies, statutory bodies and government companies on a range of complex legal issues relating to or being handled by the General Legal Advice Division
- Provides general legal advice to, and vets legal opinions for Government ministries, departments and agencies
- Assists in the drafting of legal opinions for litigation matters
- Provides assistance and advice to attorneys within the division and in the other divisions of the Chambers
- Prepares and presents legal matters in Court, at the Industrial Disputes Tribunal and at other disciplinary and tribunal hearings
- Attends meetings in relation to assigned matters
- Vets and comments on Cabinet Submissions, Bills and draft legislation relating to the Division’s business line.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- In-depth and extensive knowledge of the Laws of Jamaica and the broad field of law or practice relating to matters general handled in the Division.
- Highly developed knowledge of the mandate, objectives, strategies, policies, and environment of the Attorney General’s Chambers and assigned LSUs.
- Highly developed knowledge of strategic and operational management approaches.
- Excellent Leadership and management skills to create vision and strategy, mobilize people, uphold integrity and respect, collaborate with partners and stakeholders, promote innovation and guide change, achieve results.
- Excellent problem solving and time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and people management skills
- Highly developed research and analytical skills
- Excellent ability to interpret legal documents
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including administrative and legal research applications.
- Bachelors of Laws (LLB) with relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience (i.e. at least 10 years’ experience in handling major legal issues in a general practice of law)
- Certificate in Legal Education
- At least five (5) years’ experience in managing human resources
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB:
- Work beyond normal office hours
- Required to travel locally and overseas
We thank all applicants for their interest, but advise that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.