The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Director, Management Accounting (FMG/PA 3)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the position/ of Director, Management Accounting (FMG/PA 3) at the University Hospital of the West Indies in the Finance Department.
The Director of Management Accounting is responsible for the Hospital's Budget and the continuous evaluation of the cost effectiveness and efficiency of all Hospital programmes financed. This involves direct supervision of the development, preparation and management of the Annual and Supplementary Recurrent Estimates of Expenditure, Income Contributions and Revenue Programmes, for the Hospital along with related reports in accordance with:
- The approved Strategic, Corporate and Operational Plans.
- Guidelines prescribed by the Government of Jamaica, as communicated through the Ministries of Health, Education and Finance and Planning.
- Requirements of the contributing territories to the University of the West Indies.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Determine cost for all services offered at the University Hospital of the West Indies:-
- cost for teaching, research and patient care.
- staff costs
- operational costs
- Monitor and report on the financial performance of the various income streams within UHWI.
- Review and make recommendations on UHWI fee structure.
- Determine UHWI costing philosophy which is reviewed annually.
- Develop monitor and manage Chart of Accounts.
- Coordinate and manage the UHWI Budget.
- Contribute to UHWI Strategic and Operational Plan.
- Develop and manage the work plans for the department.
- Provide monthly report to the Senior Director of Finance.
TECHNICAL AND PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advise the Senior Director of Finance promptly of any shortfall in Cash Flow.
- Advise the Senior Director of Finance of any potential deterioration in the financial situation of the Hospital.
- Analyze miscellaneous revenue and any other non-tax revenue estimates under purview of the Hospital to ensure that: they are realistic estimates; they reflect maximum efforts toward revenue mobilization; are based on rates and fees, which have been reviewed with reference to related current cost of providing the services or goods.
- On receipt of Warrant Allocations, assists the Senior Management Team to:
- Assess expenditure ceilings for programmes/projects/ activities consistent with funds allocated and established priorities;
- Obtain revised Implementation Plan where necessary for the period;
- Develop non-budgetary sources of revenue.
- Scrutinize Cash Flow request which should be supported by Implementation Plan from Heads of Departments.
- Ensure timely submission of salary costing to Ministry of Health for funding.
- Manage the Budget Section including the overall supervision of officers of the section towards the achievement of the section’s objectives.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Masters Degree in Accounting/Finance
- Association of Chartered Accounts (ACCA) Level 3;
- Successful completion of relevant government accounting and computing courses;
- A minimum of four (4) years’ experience at the professional accounting level – or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience