The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Director - Management Information Systems
Job SummaryResponsible for the development of efficient management information systems to support the strategic mission of the Regional Health Authority.
- Continuously monitoring technological developments to identify opportunities, appropriateness and their applicability to support the medium to long-term operations of the Regional Health Authority.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED:
- Working knowledge of project management practices and techniques.
- Working knowledge of the relevant programming languages.
- Working knowledge of computer program design techniques.
- Working knowledge of implementation of automated systems.
- Knowledge of health systems and government legislation relating to health care delivery
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- BSc. Degree in Computer Science.
- Diploma in Management Studies.
- Five (5) years related experience, at least three (3) of which must be at a managerial level.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND SPECIALISED TECHNIQUES
- Ability to lead and motivate staff
- Good human relations skills.
- Good analytical skills and sound judgement.
- Good time and project management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH JOB:
- May be required to work beyond normal working hours, including week-ends.
- Tight deadlines to restore or set up new systems.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assess Regional Authority business objectives and identify its technology requirements.
- Integrate the Regional Authority business and technology strategies.
- Determine the strategic direction of the Information Systems Department and develop operating plans in accordance with corporate objectives.
- Develop and implement a coherent and integrated management information system in accordance with the needs of the Authority and its health Facilities within the Regions.
- Recommend and implement the use of new development platforms and hardware systems.
- Develop, implement and maintain a comprehensive personal computer policy which is applicable to all units.
- Participate in trouble shooting system problems. Liaise with user departments accordingly to reduce down time and quick response times.
- Continuously monitor technology developments to determine appropriateness and potential applicability to the Regional Authority by:
- reviewing technical publications, conducting technology reviews, and trends within the computer industry;
- establishing measurable criteria for evaluation and determining the cost/benefit and the advantages of any application of specific technologies;
- demonstrating the feasibility of implementation of the proposed technology through pilot mode operations; and
- developing and controlling the implementation of new technology within the environment.
- Prepare and monitor the implementation plan for the introduction of approved technology products/methodologies by:
- determining the impact of proposed technology on current systems, practices and procedures and on the specific health institutions.;
- identifying policy and management issues to be addressed in the implementation;
- devising and documenting strategies to minimise the impact of the introduction of proposed technology on the organisation, such as staffing;
- preparing implementation plans identifying key targets, milestones and responsibilities;
- preparing monthly progress report.
- Responsible for designing, recommending and implementing LAN & WAN and other communications including electronic mail, voice mail and other enablers.
- Co-ordinate the purchase of new equipment. Liaise with computer suppliers accordingly.
- Prepare the Department's annual operating budget and ensure that expenditure is kept within budgetary limits.
- Monitor the technology training and staff development needs of the organisation.
- Advise subsidiaries on new technological development, acquisition and installation of requirement.
- Perform other related functions required from time to time by the Senior Vice President.
- Delegate duties and prioritise tasks in respect of staff supervised.
- Approve removal of equipment for repair.
- Allocate user privileges on the database.
- Access all user files on the database.
- Recommend the acquisition of the hardware and software for Head Office.
This job is satisfactorily performed when:
- User requirements are speedily and effectively accomplished.
- Stipulated deadlines are consistently met.
- Appropriate and efficient technology usage as it relates to FMIS, HRMIS, Maximo and PAS.
- Confidentiality is preserved.
- There is demonstrated ability to foster good working relations with staff.