The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Director of Facilities Managemen
Job SummaryApplications are invited for the post of Director of Facilities Management in The University of the West Indies Open Campus.
The Director of Facilities Management has overall responsibility for the development and implementation of facilities management plans and strategies that support the short term and long term operational needs of the Campus, its stakeholders, and users of its services.
The incumbent will undertake professional work in developing and managing a comprehensive preventative maintenance plan for the effective and efficient functioning of all electrical, mechanical, and emergency systems, custodial services, and maintenance of all building structures associated with the work of the Campus across the region.
A key outcome of the work of the Director of Facilities and Management is the creation and maintenance of a safe and comfortable physical space conducive to student learning and development, and promotion of staff engagement and morale.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Candidates for the position should possess:
- a Master’s degree in Facilities Management, Engineering (Civil, Electrical or Mechanical), Construction Management, Business Administration or related field;
- at least ten (10) years of work experience in construction and building maintenance projects at a managerial level, particularly in a distributed environment;
- certification in Project Management and working knowledge of Microsoft Projects 2013/16;
- certification/accreditation from a recognized body (LEED, IFMA, BIFM etc) will be a definite asset;
- extensive experience in preparation of RFPs, tender documents, contract management and procurement;
- knowledge of building and electrical codes and ability to understand and interpret structural and architectural drawings will be an asset;
- experience in writing funding proposals for development of facilities.
The successful applicant should have:
- excellent leadership and management skills;
- strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills;
- knowledge of facilities planning and construction management processes and procedures;
- knowledge of local and internationally accepted building codes and standards of practice;
- good negotiations skills;
- good decision-making skills;
- good supervisory and coaching skills; and
- the ability to deliver in accordance with strict reporting deadlines.
The Director of Facilities Management will:
- collaborate with key stakeholders to develop appropriate master planning frameworks to ensure that decisions impacting facilities management are in keeping with the broader vision of The UWI;
- develop and implement a comprehensive maintenance programme/plan to ensure continuous operational efficiency of building infrastructures, plant etc. across the Campus;
- oversee the management of all facilities management related projects/tasks undertaken by the UWI Open Campus, including construction, refurbishment, installation/removal of equipment, security and custodial services;
- oversee the development of specifications, drawings, and estimates related to procurement, outsourcing FM services, maintenance and construction activities across the Open Campus Plant regionally;
- participate in the Biennium budget planning process to ensure that the Campus’ operational maintenance needs and projected needs are adequately funded/budgeted and implements control mechanisms for the effective deployment of assigned budgets;
- collaborate with the Campus Registrar and relevant divisional Heads on the utilisation of space and assignment of resources for new buildings, and on initiatives to re-organize current premises;
- conduct periodic audits and risks assessments, and undertakes the development of appropriate plans, policies and procedures to support continuous improvement of facilities management activities, processes and practices across the Campus;
- coordinate the Campus’ emergency preparedness efforts in collaboration with key governmental agencies, NGOs and sister campuses across the region;
- establish and manage a customer relationship management system (CRM) to ensure that customer concerns and needs across the OC community are adequately addressed/satisfied;
- collaborate with colleagues at sister Campuses as needed; and
- Perform any other job related duties as may be assigned.