The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryApplications are invited for the temporary post of Director, Surveys
Under the direction of the Director General, the Director, Surveys has responsibility for the overall management of the technical and administrative activities of the Institute’s continuous and integrated programme of Household and Establishment surveys and the production of Labour Force, Employment and Earnings and related statistical indicators. The incumbent is also responsible for the management of the Surveys of Living Conditions and all surveys contracted to the Institute by external agencies.
Qualifications & Experience Required
- Master’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, or other Social Science discipline.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in the management of all phases of large-scale Household and Establishment surveys, including the collection, compilation and analysis of survey data and preparation of survey reports and methodological documentation, five (5) of which should be at the level of a Senior Statistician.
- Project Management experience.
- Proficiency in the use of statistical software such as SPSS, STATA or SAS.
STATIN – CORE COMPETENCIES
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent teamwork and cooperation skills
- Demonstrated high level of integrity
- Demonstrated customer and quality focus
STATIN – MANAGERIAL COMPETENCIES
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent Strategic planning skills
- Excellent people management skills
- Demonstrated effectiveness in managing external relationships
Professional Statistical Knowledge Extensive Knowledge of:
- Statistical Business Processes (Survey Design, Data Collection, Data Processing, Data Analysis, Reporting /Dissemination etc.)
- International standards on statistical concepts, definitions, classifications and methodology applied to the production of labour market and other statistics derived from Household and Establishment surveys as developed by organizations with this function (e.g. The UN, ILO, WTO, IMF, etc.)
- Project Management techniques and tools.
- International standards for official statistics, e.g. the IMF General Data Dissemination System (GDDS), the Special Data Dissemination System (SDDS) and the UN Fundamental Principles of Official Statistics.
Summary of Duties
- Plans and directs the development and implementation of the statistical work programme of the Surveys Division.
- Provides technical guidance and supervision to the professional and support staff in execution of the Division’s work programme.
- Collaborates with other Divisional Directors and subject matter experts on the development or revision of standards on statistical concepts, definitions and classifications used in the production of all surveys.
- Collaborates with other Divisional Directors and subject matter experts on the development of survey methodology, including survey design, data collection, data processing, analysis and reporting/dissemination of survey results for all surveys.
- Provides technical assistance in the development, piloting and testing of survey instruments as well as the development of instruction manuals for Interviewers and Editors and Coders.
- Oversees the technical and administrative activities of the Institute’s continuous and integrated programme of Household and Establishment surveys
- Oversees the technical and administrative activities of all phases of surveys contracted to the Institute by external agencies.
- Directs the compilation of data and preparation of final tabulations for surveys including the Survey of Living Conditions (SLC) and the Labour Force Survey.
- Directs the production of statistics and related indicators for Household and Establishment surveys.
- Ensures that statistical standards, methods, concepts, classifications and definitions applied to the production of statistical outputs meet national requirements and are in compliance with international standards for official statistics.
- Directs quality assurance procedures including the systematic, documentation of statistical processes, methodologies and procedures used in the production of statistical outputs.
- Monitors and reviews the format and content of all technical reports/publications produced in the Division to ensure that they meet defined objectives and standards of technical quality.
- Consults with key data users and stakeholders to determine the extent to which statistics produced by the Division continue to meet their evolving needs.
- Directs where necessary and with approval, the redesign or expansion of the Division’s statistical programmes to meet user needs.
- Develops strategies aimed at enlisting the cooperation of data providers/survey respondents.
- Represents the Institute, including preparing and presenting technical papers, at local, regional and international expert group meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences.
- Performs Administrative and Human Resource Management functions in accordance with established policies and procedures.
N.B. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.