The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (the Authority) invites applications from dynamic, forward-thinking individuals for the position of Editor.
To review and revise documents or other written material generated by the Authority for public or stakeholder consultations and/or publication in books, newspapers, magazines, websites, as well as research papers and other related documents.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proofread the content of documents and research papers and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, sentence construction and grammar.
- Evaluate written documents, research papers, presentations as required and recommend amendments to improve document content and readability.
- Assess in detail, publications and digital media according to the relevant publications’ styles to ensure editorial policies and publishing requirements are maintained.
- Critique material and content ideas for the Authority’s publications to ensure suitability or appropriateness for various stakeholders and audiences.
- Confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organisation or publication.
- Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources to authenticate material for publication.
- Read material to verify index items are arranged alphabetically or topically, indicating page or chapter location.
- Approve final versions of documents, research papers and/or presentations submitted by staff as required.
- Review and edit original content posted on the Authority’s website and social platforms to ensure support of communication objectives.
- Make recommendations on print/website space for text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
- Perform other related duties as required by job function.
Qualifications and Experience
- Recognised Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Mass Communications, English or related field.
- Recognised Master’s Degree in Journalism, Mass Communications, English or related field would be an asset.
- Minimum five (5) years working experience in journalism or a mass communications environment, of which three (3) years includes experience as an Editor.
- Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, Publisher, etc.)
- Experience with In Design, Photoshop or other publishing tools would be an asset.
Professional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Principles, practices and techniques of journalism and mass communications.
- Structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods including alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
- Telecommunications Act Chap 47:31 and regulations as well as international telecommunications regulation best practices.
- Familiarity with Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and social media best practices would be an asset.
- Skills & Abilities
- Proficient in the preparation of reports and memorandums and diverse publications such as press releases, and articles.
- Effective writing skills in a variety of styles that appeal to different audiences.
- Strong design/creative skills (Microsoft Office package, Adobe creative suite)
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to prioritise multiple workloads and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.