The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the post of Electrical Technician at the SWRHA.
The Electrical Technician provides specialist technical expertise in maintenance of electrical installations and equipment in health institutions. The health institutions operate on a 24 hour basis, and accordingly this person may be required to work on shift or “on call” arrangements.
The job may involve considerable travelling and fieldwork throughout the region.
NB: This job is subject to exposure to electrical and mechanical hazards, vibration, dust, hazardous waste and other conditions as found in a hospital environment.
Key functions & Duties:
- Performs scheduled maintenance on standby power systems.
- Troubleshoots utility and standby power systems.
- Performs electrical emergency and preventive maintenance and repair duties necessary to maintain assigned facilities in the Region.
- Performs maintenance, repairs and adjustments to medium and low voltage electrical installations and equipment.
- Inspects electrical equipment at all SWRHA facilities to determine maintenance, repair and replacement needs in collaboration with Supervisor and reports safety and fire hazards.
- Assists Supervisor to maintain a manual or computerised maintenance system for the Region.
- Utilises the manual or computerised maintenance management system to ensure that all operating, maintenance and repair costs are recorded against individual assets.
- Troubleshoots utility and standby power systems in collaboration with Supervisor.
- Performs work in keeping with health and safety regulations, and according to statutory requirement and applicable local and international safety standards and codes.
- Applies continuous effort to reduce energy consumption costs.
- Applies continuous effort to increase output quality and reduce turnaround times for on-going work.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Key knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Laws, regulations, guidelines, and codes standards pertaining to operation, maintenance and repair to medium and low voltage electrical installations and equipment in health institutions.
- Local and international electrical codes.
- Local and international safety codes and practices pertaining to health institutions.
- Engineering methods, materials, and tools used in the maintenance of electrical installations and equipment in health institutions.
- Standby generator and automatic transfer switch installation, operation and maintenance.
- Word processing, spreadsheet and database and project applications.
- Ability to read and understand technical manuals and instructions.
- Ability to produce written documents and reports with clearly organized thoughts using standard English sentence construction.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with user departments’ representatives, manufacturers and contractors.
- Ability to read, understand and follow safety procedures.
- Ability to use measuring instruments in addition to hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Ability to work in elevated locations.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Successful completion of an Electrical/Electronics Certificate from an accredited technical institution.
- Possession of a wireman’s licence.
- Two (2) years’ experience as an Electrician in a facility.