The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the vacant position of Enforcement Officer within the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA).
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Assisting in organising the daily operations of the Unit and ensuring functional procedures and operational methods are administered, adhered to and maintained in accordance with Customs legislation and policy to achieve the Department’s objective.
- Performing physical examination/inspection of goods in accordance with instructions listed in TRIPS to detect narcotics and psychotropic substances.
- Ensuring tax compliance by conducting post approval investigations on various classes of beneficiaries of tax exemptions received from GRA.
- Gathering intelligence using TRIPS, informants and any other source of information available.
- Conducting profiling of entries, transactions and verifying transactions and providing information and evidence at court and site visits to verify that items granted tax exemptions are used for the intended purposes.
- Investigating the authenticity of the recipient of tax exemption / concessions and submiting report to the manager for action on business and/or persons who use tax exempted goods contrary to the intended purposes.
- Detaining items discovered under a breach of the tax exemptions contract between the GRA and taxpayers and invites taxpayers for voluntary interview to ascertain whether the concession should be suspended, revoked or relevant duties and taxes paid.
- Sealing all seized illegal goods after examination and ensuring same is handed over to the relevant Law Enforcement Agencies or CANU for the preparation and presentation of court cases.
- Ensuring records and registers are maintained of seizure conducted on all outgoing illegal goods.
- Preparing reports on prohibited drugs or discrepancies identified during the examination process
- Ensuring the efficient scrutinizing of containers profiled for examination for narcotics and psychotropic substances daily.
- Verifying that classification of goods is correct upon examination and before goods are released.
- Conducting follow up or post investigation in relation to Internal Revenue, Remission Unit and License Office, VAT/Excise and Customs.
- Directing Anti-Smuggling/Intelligence operations, prepares reports and evaluates feedback from exercise and supervises detention and release of prisoners.
Qualification and Experiences:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accountancy, Public/Business Management or any other equivalent qualifications and minimum of three (3) years' relevant experience.