The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Environmental Analysis Laboratory Manager
Job SummaryUnder the direction of the Director for Center for Marine and Environmental Studies (CMES), the successful candidate will be the operations manager for the newly renovated Environmental Analysis Laboratory.
The candidate is responsible for operating and maintaining laboratory equipment, maintaining supplies and ensuring laboratory safety, training staff and students in the laboratory techniques, and assisting with lab infrastructure improvements and growth. Experience analyzing chemical, biological, and mineral samples is highly desirable. The candidate will act as a liaison between CMES and visiting scientists using the lab and major equipment and will be responsible for the scheduling of lab and equipment use, and maintenance and calibration scheduling. The candidate will participate as a scientist and representative of the University in outreach programs to the community; will maintain relevant databases, will prepare written technical reports, and will assist in developing and securing environmental project contracts, writing grant applications and peer reviewed manuscripts.
- Master’s degree in a relevant scientific field and 5 years of laboratory management experience or a Bachelors Degree and 10 years of laboratory management experience;
- Knowledge of chemical and biological laboratory operations and maintenance;
- Working ability to operate analytical laboratory equipment such as: Gas Chromatography (GC), High Performance Liquid Chromatography, GC/Mass Spectrometry, UV/Vis spectrometers, Continuous Flow Analyzer;
- Ability to maintain and trouble shoot repairs for laboratory equipment such as autoclaves, freezers, centrifuges, water purification systems and the above stated instrumentation;
- Knowledge and ability to manage hazardous waste generated by the laboratory;
- Ability to write technical reports/correspondence;
- Organizational skills and the ability to work with visiting scientists, students and other staff members to facilitate research; Ability to work independently and also cooperatively with others;
- Motivation, maturity and the ability to serve a diverse educational and cultural public constituency.
- Experience with water testing for EPA water quality standards.
- Ability to safely operate a 20-30 foot boat
- Understanding of chemical waste handling procedures.