The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Officer
Job SummaryThe job of the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Officer requires the incumbent to administer EMBD’s Occupational, Safety, Health and Environmental Programme in accordance with the Environmental Management Act 2000
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors and evaluates the health, safety and environmental performance of projects including quarries.
- Supervises subordinate staff of the Division.
- Assists the EHS Specialist in designing codes of practice and policies.
- Ensures maintenance of all records for health, safety and environmental programmes, statistics, publications, inspection reports, accident investigations and other related data and correspondence.
- Supervises and reviews accident/incident investigations for proper preventive and corrective action.
- Recommends solutions for preventing/controlling incidents, illnesses, environmental and property damage.
- Assists with the implementation of all EHS training and safety awareness programmes.
- Reviews and evaluates health, safety and environmental aspects of tenders regarding infrastructure projects.
- Conducts and evaluates complex risk assessments and environmental scoping exercises as required.
- Assists with formulation and implementation of EHS Management Systems.
- EHS Monitoring of all EMBD’s project to ensure compliance with Certificates of Environmental clearance (CEC) and other statutory approvals.
- Prepares applications for CECs and Town and Country Planning Approvals.
- Prepare plans as required by the terms and conditions of CECs e.g. Rehabilitation Plans, Traffic Management Plans, Management Plans, Storm water Management Plans.
- Establish and maintain an electronic database.
- Liaise with Statutory bodies to obtain statutory approvals.
- Conduct ambient air quality monitoring, noise monitoring and water quality monitoring.
- Conducts inspections to ensure that all buildings compounds, plant, equipment and systems of work are safe and without risk to health.
- Review and assess contractor’s EHS Management plans, risk assessments, emergency response plans and other plans.
- Performs administrative and other related duties, as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Sound knowledge of risk assessment.
- Sound knowledge of environmental scoping exercises.
- Superior ability to evaluate health, safety and environmental policies and programmes.
- Sound knowledge of laws and regulations relating to health, safety and environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- At least a BSc Degree in Environmental Management complemented by NEBOSH Certificate in Health and Safety or BSc in Health and Safety complemented by a Diploma in Environmental Management.
- MSc Degree in Occupational Environmental, Safety and Health will be an asset.
- At least 3 years’ experience in Health, Safety and Environmental Management of infrastructure projects.
- Knowledge of EHS laws and Public Sector Management.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted