The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist
Job SummaryThe Environmental, Health and Safety Specialist (EHS Specialist) will be required to assist in the planning, development, implementation and continual review of Health, Safety and Environmental Management Systems
The incumbent will assist the Manager in the control, management and direction of the organisation’s quarries as well as the management of its relationship with communities and other stakeholders within proximity of the organisation’s quarry operations.
Additionally, the EHS Specialist will be expected to assist the Manager in ensuring compliance with the Occupational, Safety and Health (OSH) Act 2004 as amended as well as the Environmental Management Act 2000, in order to ensure that the operations of the EMBD is efficiently managed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Environmental, Health and Safety Screening, Assessment, Planning, Management, Monitoring and Auditing:
- Assist the Manager Quarry Mining/ Environmental, Health and Safety (Manager QM-EHS) establish a Quarry Mining and Environmental, Health and Safety (QMEHS) Unit, in accordance with Public Sector Management guidelines in order to ensure all QMEHS issues are effectively managed for the EMBD.
- Review projects in order to make recommendations for the incorporation of Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) design elements and criteria into projects.
- Review projects to determine magnitude and significance of EHS impacts.
- Assists the Manager, QM-EHS in obtaining the required regulatory approvals and conducting studies for quarry/construction operations – Certificate of Environmental Clearance (CEC), Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Notifications to the Occupational, Safety and Health Agency (OSHA), Mining Licence and Town and Country Planning (TCPD) approval.
- Assists the Manager, QM-EHS in preparing EHS guidelines and criteria for project selection, design and implementation.
- Assists the Manager, QM-EHS in preparing Terms of Reference (TOR) for EIAs/Supervise and Reviews EIAs and other environmental studies.
- Assists the Manager, QM-EHS in preparing TORs for employment of EHS consultants.
- Assists the Manager, QM-EHS in procuring EHS consultants.
- Formulate, document, implement and audit Environmental, Health and Safety Management Systems aimed at protecting the environment and abiding by relevant legislation.
- Responsible for the formulation of training for the EHS personnel.
Environmental, Health and Safety Screening, Assessment, Planning, Management, Monitoring and Auditing – Continued:
- Conducts monitoring of terms and conditions of CEC and contract documents to ensure compliance, in conjunction with the Legal Department.
- Conduct site visits to projects to ensure that sub-ordinate staff is operating efficiently.
- Review and assess Contractors EHS Management Plans, Risk Assessments to ensure there are minimal risks on EMBDs job sites.
- Formulate, document, implement and audit emergency response plans, fire prevention and control plans.
- Formulate and implement Health and Safety Committees.
- Assists the Manager QM-EHS in incorporating Health and Safety Clauses in Contract Documents.
- Develop health surveillance and welfare procedures for staff of EMBD.
- Assists the Manager QM-EHS in assessing and procuring PPE for relevant employees of EMBD.
- Assists the Manager QM-EHS in conducting Health and Safety Training Needs Analysis for EMBD.
- Assess the health and safety performance of infrastructure projects.
- Maintenance of Scientific Equipment used for monitoring Health and Safety.
- Provide Health and Safety Training for EMBD’s staff.
- Execute inspections to ensure that all buildings, compounds, plant, equipment and systems of work are safe, and without risk to health.
Quarry Mining Management, Monitoring and Auditing:
- Assists the Manager QM-EHS in establishing a management structure, which enables the quarries to operate in accordance with the guidelines set by Cabinet.
- Keeps up to date with relevant government legislation and industry developments relevant to quarry operations.
- Closely monitors all areas of the quarry to ensure that extraction and processing work is effectively carried out.
- Assists the Manager QM-EHS in formulating an effective Environmental Management System to ensure protection of the environment within proximity to EMBD operated quarries and sites.
- Monitors reports on actual and potential hazards within the quarries under management, taking reasonable steps to implement procedures to eliminate or mitigate the hazard(s).
- Oversees the work of health and safety subordinates and mining personnel and ensures that all aspects of the organisation’s health and safety planning, assessment, management and monitoring systems are properly executed in line with relevant legislation.
- Assists the Manager QM-EHS in maintaining up-to-date records and deals with paperwork relevant to the operation of the quarries including the production of relevant reports on quarry visits.
- Assists the Manager QM-EHS in the preparation and implementation of Quarry Rehabilitation Plans.
Other related duties:
- Supervises subordinate staff.
- Performs other related duties as required
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Considerable Environmental, Health and Safety knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Capacity to coordinate interdisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge in Implementation of EHS Management Systems
- Proficient in developing and conducting training.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc. Degree in the Environmental Field (Environmental Science, Environmental Management).
- MSc. Degree in Occupational Safety and Health.
- Diploma in Project Management.
- At least ten (10) years’ experience in the field of Health, Safety and Environment duties.
- Advanced Training in Health and Safety Management Systems and Development (OHSAS 18001 Series).
- Training in TTS 620:2008 Occupational Safety and Health Risk Assessment- Requirements.
- Training in Risk Management Principles and Guidelines.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in developing and providing EHS Training.
- At least five (5) years’ supervisory experience in Health, Safety and Environmental Management of projects and supervisor of on-site personnel.
- Sound knowledge of EHS Laws and Public Sector Management.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted