The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryAssume personal responsibility for safety and the environment. Be accountable for themselves and the safety of others in their vicinity. Environmental consciousness forms one part of this accountability.
Responsibility and Authority
- Commit to the Company’s Core Values – carry out daily activities following the R.I.T.E. way – Respect, Integrity, Trust and Excellence are the foundation of all our actions, every day, in everything we do.
- Assume personal responsibility for safety and the environment. Be accountable for themselves and the safety of others in their vicinity. Environmental consciousness forms one part of this accountability.
- Work with the Chief Engineer, Staff Captain, other responsible Engineers/Technicians and Deck Officers to ensure that all necessary environmental and select public health programs and relevant documentation are properly completed.
- Regularly reviews and maintains the Garbage Record Book and the Integrated Pest Management records for completeness and accuracy,
- Conduct weekly compliance checks on the Oil Record Book and Sewage and Grey Water Record Book,
- Conduct weekly compliance checks on the White Box and Oily Water Separator.
- Work closely with the Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, General Manager, and other Department Heads to maximize energy efficiency and emissions' reductions of all types.
- Responsible for checking that all vessel air emission requirements are being properly met including the fuel switchover process.
- Provides oversight, advice and guidance to the Master and all department heads regarding the onboard chemical management program.
- Continuously observe and gauge compliance with the chemical management and related personal protective equipment policy.
- Conduct, together with relevant shipboard personnel,quarterly shipboard environmental self-assessments to ensure environmental programs are properly maintained and reported to the Compliance Team and Marine & Technical Operations;
- Assist Compliance Team to perform internal environmental audits;
- Assist officers and crew in resolving environmental concerns, such as inoperative or ineffective pollution prevention and waste handling equipment, ineffective procedures, or ineffective pollution minimization programs, such as recycling, hazardous materials management and minimization of oily bilge waste;
- Maintain ship copies of all waste manifests and provide copies of hazardous waste manifests to shore side offices for corporate record-keeping;
- Ensure that all wastes that are subject to special handling requirements are being managed properly and in compliance with applicable requirements and operating policies.
- Responsible for completing all AMOS work orders as assigned.
- Advises responsible shipboard project team members regarding the management of environmental issues associated with work projects such as the installation of the new pollution control equipment.
- Carry out the ship's pest-control procedures. Monitoring the effectiveness of pest control and instigating corrective action where necessary;
- Ensure that the Master is notified of releases or spills into the environment and that all reporting requirements are met.
- Serve as the ship's liaison to the Compliance Team for all aspects of evaluating shipboard environmental management and performance;
- Provide on-going support to all crew for environmental matters including additional training as requested by heads of department.
- Conduct Environmental related familiarization training for new joining Deck and Engine Officers.
- Monitor and provide support to Department Heads in incorporating relevant environmental topics to the on-the-job training.
- Conduct environmental training for contractors sailing with the vessel.
- Assist the Master and the Compliance Team in responding to inquiries or complaints of any crew member or guest regarding perceived improper environmental practices;
- Provide input to the Compliance Team regarding environmental items (Spill Response Gear, Personal Protective Equipment, Chemicals, etc.);
- Ensure that the maintenance programs and inspections and tests programs arranged by the Company pertinent to his/her area of responsibility are diligently implemented. Issue requests through the Staff Captain for spare parts,
materials, services, and repairs for his/her area of responsibility taking into consideration the maintenance work program and the possible needs for repairs;
- Participate in the development, implementation and enforcement of company environmental policies and procedures;
- Coordinate with the Compliance Team and her/his staff to assess the vessel's shipboard environmental programs including, but not limited to: pollution minimization, evaluation of new technologies, bilge water management, gray and black water management, hazardous materials and chemical management, solid and hazardous waste management and spill response;
- Ensure shore side personnel, including but not limited to the Compliance Team are notified when pollution prevention equipment is inoperable for more than 48 hours;
- Represent shipboard perspective during periodic reviews of company environmental policies, procedures, and systems.
- Ensures that periodic independent laboratory sampling of AWP treated wastewater is conducted monthly (twice monthly for ships discharging in Alaska) to gauge ongoing system compliance with MARPOL ASP Discharge standards.
- For ships equipped with onboard AWP test equipment**
o Conducts onboard AWP sampling once per week while on Alaskan itineraries, or bi-weekly (twice per month) when operating on non-Alaskan itineraries.
o Conducts onboard AWP sampling twice per week on Alaskan itineraries. If the system is not functioning properly then samplings will be conducted daily.
- Works with Medical Facility and other departments as needed to carry out the mandatory monthly Legionella sampling.
- Manage current environmental implementing procedures, manuals, appropriate regulations and training reference materials onboard the vessel at all times. This may be in hard copy or electronic format
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Some experience on passengers' vessels or equivalent position.
- Full knowledge and understanding of the Company SMS.
- Thorough knowledge of the vessel he/she is assigned to.
- Managerial skills including but not limited to:
- Team Work
- Time Management
- Computer Literacy
- Customer Service