The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Executive Sous Chef
At NCL there are hundreds of ways you can be a part of our Freestyle Cruising Team. Traveling as fast as 25 knots, it's tough to have a slow day at work whether on land or at sea. So what are you waiting for? All you need to do is click below to view available opportunities and instructions on how to apply. Then it's Anchors aweigh, "Bon voyage" and "Let's get to work" all at the same time.
POSITION SUMMARY / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Executive Sous Chef’s primary responsibility is the management of an assigned galley for Norwegian Cruise Line, to ensure that the line's high standards are achieved and maintained within budgetary limitations.
This includes all practices, procedures, training and guest satisfaction levels. A procedural approach to managing the entire onboard galley department must be employed, utilizing modern management principles as well as incorporating technological innovations where practical in order to deliver top quality guest service.
- Schedule galley crew members based off of guidelines established by the Corporate Office and the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Ensure that Sous Chefs are providing continuous training to their crew on classical cooking techniques (mother sauces, stocks, etc.) as well as on Company established recipes and menu grids. Participate in training sessions when possible.
- Ensure that Sous Chefs and crew members are being recognized for their accomplishments.
- Ensure that performance evaluations of all galley personnel are carried out as per Company policy in a fair and equitable manner, based on actual performance and results achieved.
- Ensure that Sous Chefs are knowledgeable of the goals of the company and department and the action plans that will be followed to achieve these goals.
- Ensure that all departments within F&B are working together as a team and supporting each other in a professional manner.
- Ensure that assigned galley is maintained in accordance with Company policy, USPH, SEMS and safety and environmental regulations.
- Member of the USPH team. Conduct daily USPH inspections of all F&B areas with the F&B management team.
- Continuously review the operation and make recommendations on how to enhance the product to the F&B Director and the Executive Chef.
- Implement new policies, standard operating procedures and Company initiatives as assigned.
- Maintain an outlet log and review this information on a frequent basis with the Executive Chef and Sous Chef.
- Complete reports in a timely manner (meal count report, waste logs, production sheets, daily checklists, etc.) and forward them to the Executive Chef.
- Ensure that food items delivered to the vessel are in compliance with Company specifications.
- Review all food and beverage related costs and consumptions in accordance with financial targets.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or as directed. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Must be familiar with the Safety and Environmental Protection Policy and the SEMS, and carry out the policies and procedures appropriate for his/her position.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of three years’ experience as an Executive Chef in a medium size (250+ rooms) cruise ship or multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort or five years’ experience as Executive Sous Chef in a large size (600+ rooms) cruise ship or multi-venue, high volume, luxury hotel or resort is required.
- Advanced level English verbal and writing skills, including the proper use of English grammar is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Fidelio, AS400, Micros) are required.
- Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalency in a related culinary discipline is required.
- Certificate of completion in a relevant course of study from a recognized culinary institution is required.
- Advanced Certification in Sanitation and Public Health is required.