The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Executive Sous Chef
Job SummaryThe incumbent will be responsible for all food preparation, production and control for all food outlets and banquet facilities to meet Pyramid Hotel Group high standards of quality.
- Hire, train, supervise, schedule and participate in activities of chefs, cooks and other personnel involved in preparing, cooking and presenting food in accordance with productivity standards, cost controls and forecast needs.
- Listen actively and communicate clearly while interacting with customers to promote food products and directing staff activities. Analyze feedback from clients and employees, make judgments and take action to implement suggestions for improvement. Maintain working rapport with all hotel staff for efficient operation and service to customers. Organize and conduct meetings.
- Monitor staff performance, product quality and production flow; foster improvement where necessary.
- Hold monthly departmental meetings.
- Create and implement new menus and individual menu items for all outlets based on current food trends and regional tastes. Develop innovative menu selections for special banquet themes and parties in accordance with client budgetary considerations and expectations. Confer with Director of Food and Beverage regarding new selections and changes.
- Audit food storeroom items and storage to maintain consist quality products to ensure adherence to all health code requirements. Enforce safety procedures and cleanliness throughout kitchen(s) including walk-in and reach-in boxes.
- Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established by Pyramid Hotel Groups from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Employees with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, employees may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel.
- Upon employment, all employees are required to fully comply with Pyramid Hotel Groups rules and regulations for the safe and efficient operation of hotel facilities. Employees who violate Hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based upon the particular requirements of the hotel.
- Assist Director of Food & Beverage estimating annual food budget.
- Monitor outlets during peak period to oversee production flow and presentation.
- Maintain vacation schedule for proper staffing.
- Report any equipment in need of repair to Engineering for service.
- Perform duties of Manager On Duty Program as scheduled.
- Perform other duties as requested, such as V.I.P. parties and staff meetings.
- Work with Purchasing Agent.
SPECIFIC JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities, and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Considerable knowledge of mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) necessary to interpret reports and budgets.
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight to marketing, cost and wage control.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgements to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English to comprehend and communicate job functions.
- Ability to perform the role of Manager On Duty.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Finger/hand dexterity in order to operate food machinery.
- Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise move goods weighing a maximum of 400 lbs. on a continuous schedule.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication lines between line staff and Food and Beverage Director.
- Ability to stand, walk, and/or sit continuously perform essential functions for an extended period of time.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience tact and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
- Hearing and visual ability to observe and detect signs of emergency situations, distinguish product, taste, texture and presentation and observe preparation.
- Artistic ability to create theme menus, ideas for ice carvings, decorations, etc.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. High School education and Culinary schooling required.
Must have prior experience as an Executive Chef with knowledge of most international and domestic dishes.