The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Executive Sous Chef – Training and Development
Job SummaryTo standardize, maintain, and continuously improve quality of culinary standards to ensure guest satisfaction.
Purpose of Job
Teach, train, mentor and monitor all Culinarians and Stewarding team members through outlet specific training; recipe creation and costing, plating standards for HOH and FOH to include HACCP, SERV SAFE and cleaning procedures. Implementation of international food trends, serving procedures and cooking techniques from a variety of ethnic cuisines, including but not limited to Japanese, Indian, Thai, Chinese, European and Latin American. Train culinary team members to product specification guides, i.e. seafood, protein, produce and international vendor standards. Ensure QTTP – Quality, Taste, Texture & Presentation – while driving passion and commitment to achieve excellence at all times.
Plan, prep, setup and provide quality service in all areas of food production for menu items and specials in the designated outlets in accordance with standards and plating guide specifications. Direct, teach, train and monitor performance of Line Cooks, Stewards and FOH. Maintain organization, cleanliness and sanitation of work areas and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures/standards.
- Maintain complete knowledge of correct maintenance and use of equipment. Use equipment only as intended.
- Anticipate guests' needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Maintain positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of assigned work areas.
- Maintain and strictly abide by state sanitation/health regulations and hotel requirements.
- Meet with Executive Chef to review assignments , anticipated business levels, changes and other information pertinent to the job performance.
- Ensure that assigned staff has reported to work; document any late or absent employees.
- Coordinate breaks for assigned staff.
- Prepare and assign production and prep work for Sous/Chefs & Line Cooks to complete; review priorities.
- Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift. Identify situations which compromise the department's standards and delegate these tasks.
- Ensure that opening shift completes startup of kitchen line and designated prep work according to department procedures.
- Complete opening duties:
- Set up work station with required mis en place, tools, equipment and supplies according to standards.
- Inspect the cleanliness and working condition of all tools, equipment and supplies. Ensure everything complies with standards.
- Check production schedule and pars.
- Establish priority items for the day.
- Inform Sous Chef of any supplies that need to be requisitioned for the day's tasks.
- Transport supplies from the storeroom and stock in designated areas.
- Fabricate meats, seafood's and fowl for menu items .
- Start prep work on items needed for the particular menu of the day and direct Sous/Chef Line Cooks on same throughout the shift.
- Check P.O.S. printers a la carte line; ensure they are in working order and there is enough printing paper and print cartridges available for the shift.
- Prepare all menu items following recipes and yield guides, according to department standards.
- Assist Line Cooks wherever required to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Ensure that F&B Service Staff are informed of 86'd items and amount of available menu specials throughout the meal period.
- Communicate any assistance needed during busy periods to the Executive Sous Chef I Executive Chef to ensure optimum service to guests.
- Inform Executive Chef of any excess items that can be used in daily specials or elsewhere.
- Maintain production charts according to department standards.
- Maintain proper storage procedures as specified by Health Department and hotel requirements.
- Minimize waste and maintain controls to attain forecasted food cost.
- Disinfect and sanitize cutting boards and worktables.
- Transport empty, dirty pots and pans to the pot wash station.
- Direct and assist Stewards in order to make clean-up a more efficient process.
- Breakdown work station and complete closing duties according to department standards :
- Return all food items to the proper storage areas.
- Rotate all returned product.
- Wrap, cover, label and date all items being put away.
- Straighten up and organize all storage areas.
- Clean up and wipe down food prep areas, reach-ins/walk-ins, and shelves.
- Return all unused and clean utensils/equipment to the specified locations.
- Ice down hot items from the steam table, so they cool quickly.
- Turn off all equipment not needed for the next shift.
- Restock items that were depleted during the shift.
- Ensure all Line Cooks' assignments are completed before they sign out.
- Review status of work and follow-up actions required with the Executive Chef before leaving.
- Document pertinent information in log book.
- Assume the duties of Executive Chef in his/her absence.
- Other duties as assigned by senior management.
- Assist with inventories as scheduled.
- Assist in plating up Banquet hot meals as assigned.
- Follow maintenance program and cleaning schedule.
- Perform duties in other areas of kitchen as assigned.
- Work at off premise functions.
- Research new menu items.
- Attend designated meetings.
- Minimum six (6) years’ experience as a Senior Chef in 4-5 star hotels, resorts and restaurants
- High school diploma or equivalent vocational training certificate with certification of formal culinary training and Culinary college degree
- SERVE SAFE & HACCP Sanitation certificate
- High level of artistic talent
- Previous supervisory and consultant experience in large 5 star 5 diamond operations.
- Previous guest relations training
- Must be able to work all kitchen stations including garde manger, saucier, entremetier, poissonier, butcher, pastry, stewarding
- Must have SERVE SAFE food handling certificate
- In-depth knowledge of international food trends, serving procedures and cooking techniques, from a variety of ethnic cuisines, including but not limited to Indian, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, European, Latin American and other reginal ethnic variations
- Must be extremely knowledgeable about product specification guides
- Professional computer knowledge; Microsoft Excel, Power Point, Word and Outlook as well as formatting and creating electronic menus
- Knowledgeable on international standards for china, glass and silver , buffet and display ware, FOH cooking and display ware
- Must know standards on action stations, themed, ethnic and authentic display variations
- Must know a wide variety of kitchen equipment including FOH serving utensils
- Must know a wide variety of cleaning equipment, chemicals and purpose
- Ability to:
- perform job functions with great attention to detail, speed and accuracy.
- prioritize and organize.
- be a clear thinker, remain calm and resolve problems using good judgement.
- follow directions thoroughly .
- understand guest service needs.
- work cohesively with co-workers as part of a team.
- work with minimal supervision.
- maintain confidentiality of guest information and pertinent hotel data.
- direct performance of staff and follow up with corrections when needed.
- comprehend and follow recipes
- expand and condense recipes.
- monitor and maintain food cost budget.
- work well under pressure of meeting production schedules and timelines for guests' food orders.
- input and access information in the property management system/computers .
- Required to work in a hot kitchen with extreme noise levels and in a fast-paced environment with the ability to successfully manage a team of individuals and constantly changing priorities
- Required to work extended hours over the course of seven day work week, including holidays and nights
- Ability to walk constantly and stand for prolonged periods of time
- Exert physical effort in transporting 20 pounds to 200
- Endure various physical movements throughout the work areas
- Remain in stationary position for up to 1O hours throughout work shift
- Use sight to perform job functions
- Taste and smell to ensure product quality and safety
Sous Chefs, Cooks, Stewards