The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Final Accounts Officer (FMG/AT 3)
Job SummaryTo compile and consolidate Accounting statements and reports from Ministry, Agencies and Departments for incorporation into main Ministry Accounts for management information purposes and external regulators.
- Examines and certifies journal, payment vouchers and official receipt on the Financial Management Information System (FMIS) for the Ministry and its Divisions;
- Prepares expenditure and appropriation Accounts statement for submission to the Auditor General, Financial Secretary and Accountant General;
- Examines all directives for payment of goods and services, to ensure that charges are correctly allocated and invoices are certified;
- Supervises the preparation of Bank Reconciliation statements for the Ministry of Industry, Investment and Commerce, Food Storage Division, JANAAC, JIPO and Department of Co-operatives;
- Checks cheque payment schedules and Cashier’s lodgment against Accountant General’s Department’s summaries for Ministry and its Divisions;
- Maintains cheque summary registers, ensuring that total cheques issued do not exceed cash balance in bank;
- Examines all payment vouchers for completeness and accuracy;
- Checks the calculation of salaries and verifies the accuracy of the on and off control;
- Maintains a record of allocated and unallocated funds for each heads of estimate through the financial year;
- Travels to Food Storage Division, JANAAC, JIPO and Department of Co-operatives Regional offices located island wide to verify accounting records;
- Submits reports on the Ministry’s Divisions on a monthly basis to the Director of Expenditure and Control.
- Manages the welfare and development of direct reports through the preparation of Performance Appraisals and recommendation of required training and development programmes;
- Provides guidance to staff through mentoring and couching;
- Provides leadership through delegation and communication;
- Ensures that staff is aware of and adhere to the policies, procedures and regulations of the Public Service;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Unit.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good customer relations skills
- Good integrity/ethics exercised in the performance of duties
- Excellent knowledge in payroll preparation
- Sound knowledge of Laws, Regulations and other relevant instructions governing the financial and operational aspects of the organization
- Excellent knowledge of Accounting principles, standards and techniques
- Good analytical skills
- Good leadership skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Proficiency in the relevant computer skills
Minimum Required Qualifications and Experience
- AAT Level 3 or;
- ACCA-CAT Level C or;
- ACCA Level 1 or;
- Diploma in Accounting from a recognized University or;
- Associate of Science Degree in Accounting, MIND or;
- Diploma in Government Accounting, MIND i.e. Government Accounting Levels 1, 2 & 3 or;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Management Studies with Accounting or BBA from a recognized University.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Islandwide travel;
- May be required to stay overnight when the need arises
Salary range $979,522 - $1,164,344 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.