The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Fisheries Extension Officer (SOG/ST 3)
Job SummaryThe Fisheries Extension Officer (SOG/ST 3) is responsible for providing aquaculture extension services which support the development and implementation of programmes within the assigned aquaculture extension areas.
- Assesses the production potential of existing ponds for farmers by ascertaining the physical features of the pond (length, depth and bottom contour);
- Determines the water source, seasonality and approximate flow yearly;
- Determines sources and costs of fertilizer (organic and/or inorganic) and feed;
- Determines any modifications to be made to the existing ponds (installation of a drain, edge improvement etc.);
- Prepares detailed cost/return analyses and discussing the same with the farmer;
- Samples soil to determine the clay content of the proposed site;
- Assists the Regional Extension Officer in pond construction activities by conducting site evaluation;
- Seines or poisons any trash fish in the ponds;
- Provides Cost Return Analysis for the venture;
- Advises the farmer on techniques and methods to be employed in stocking ponds, fertilizing ponds, checking on the health of fish, treating the fish, separating the sexes of the fish, cleaning ponds, harvesting and sampling ponds etc.;
- Visits fish farmers on a regular fortnightly basis during the first crop to sample the pond and check on water quality, growth rates and the regulation of feed and fertilizer application rates;
- Advises and demonstrates methods of weed control.
- Assists in lecturing at workshops/seminars on Aquaculture Performs related duties such as preparation of reports, attend meetings and seminars;
- Inspects live aquatic organisms at the various ports of entry;
- Performs any other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the Regional Extension Officer (SOG/ST 4).
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good customer relations skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Goal/results oriented
- Knowledge of aquaculture production techniques
- Ability to produce and deliver training material
- Computer literate – should have knowledge of basic computer software e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Associate Degree in Agriculture with aquaculture courses.
Special Condition Associated with the Job
- Work for long hours in the sun, dust and water.
Salary range $785,768 - $934,032 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.