The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummarySuitably qualified and experienced candidates are being invited to apply for the position of Forest Ranger - Level 4
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Compliance & Enforcement Officer, the incumbent is responsible for enforcing the legislation of the Agency for the prevention, detection, control and mitigation of illegal and impermissible activities on Forest Reserves, Forest Management areas and all Crown Lands managed by the Agency in accordance with the provisions of the Forestry Act, the Forest Regulations, and other forest related natural resources and environmental Acts and Regulations.
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Obtains from the Senior Enforcement & Compliance Officer, schedules and guidelines for undertaking duties assigned;
- Patrols Forest Reserves, Crown Lands managed by the Agency, Forest Management Areas (where applicable), National Parks, Watersheds, Wildlife Sanctuaries, Forest Management, Conservation and Protected areas;
- Monitors the activities of unauthorized persons on the Forest Reserves and Crown Lands managed by the Agency to prevent squatting and other illegal activities;
- Removes or assists with the removal of persons intending to squat, from Forest Reserves and Crown Lands managed by the Agency;
- Investigates all offences defined under the Forest Act and/or Forest Regulations that are detected and takes/follow up on the necessary remedial action to prevent degradation of the environment within the forested areas managed by the Agency;
- Liaises closely with Forest Technicians within the Region/Zone to discuss matters of mutual interest; and liaising, also, with other Enforcement personnel employed to other Government agencies concerned with conservation of the environment;
- Interfaces with representatives of the local community within the Region in order to encourage, develop and maintain the community's interest in conserving and protecting the environment;
- Supports the efforts of Government agencies to protect the environment, and the areas of Crown land which are forested in general;
- Reports to the Senior Enforcement & Compliance Officer using the prescribed offence reporting forms, all illegal activities detected and assists with subsequent investigation and follow up actions to curtail and resolve the illegal activities as appropriate under the various Acts and Regulations.
- Attends court hearings, as required, to give evidence in connection with offences detected and / or investigated by him / her;
- Patrols areas of assignment in accordance with patrolling plans, work plans and itineraries provided to him/her and ensures that forest boundaries are kept open and boundary monuments remain intact;
- Identifies and reports incidences of up-rooted monuments; and follows up on replacements where appropriate;
- Works with assigned personnel to clear blocked or establish new boundaries and to identify original boundaries during disputes; and
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Minimum Qualification & Experience:
- A.Sc. Degree in Criminal Justice, Environmental or Agricultural Science or related area
- One (1) year field experience
The post-holder will be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- An ability to exercise sound judgement
- An ability to prioritise amongst conflicting demands and make rational decisions based upon a sound understanding of the facts in limited time
- Must display initiative
- Ability to display tact and discretion when in contact with representatives of various agencies and the general community
- An ability to build partnership in achieving operational goals
- An ability to utilise limited resources in order to achieve challenging output targets
- Sound personal and professional integrity
- Excellent investigative skills
Applicants should own/operate a motor vehicle, and should reside in the St. Mary North Eastern Region.
Basic Salary: $979,093 - $1,211,507p.a., plus applicable allowances
We thank all persons for applying, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.