The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Forest Technician, Bio-Physical Inventory
Job SummaryUnder the direct supervision of the Forest Resource Assessment Officer, the Forest Technician (BPI) will assist with inventory activities in forest estates island-wide.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS
- Conducts volume assessment in Forest plantations
- Assists in locating permanent field plots with road navigation, interpreting maps and aerial photos, running compass lines, chaining/pacing distances, and using in-house GPS equipment.
- Conducts measurements involving vegetation diversity and soil and erosion data.
- Provides technical assistance to Forest Operations and Legal and Enforcement officers in relation to conducting scale log and boardfoot measurements.
- Locate plots by pre-determined GPS coordinates;
- Conduct field measurements according to specified inventory protocol;
- Perform quality checks and upload field data daily
- Strong data collection and analytical skills
- Experience with topographic maps, compass, and aerial photos for road navigation, interpreting cover types, identifying point locations.
- Understanding and experienced with basic field forestry skills related to timber logging
- General safety (CPR and First Aid) and wilderness safety training and experience
- Keen eye for detail
- Goal oriented
- Good interpretative skills
- Good multi-tasking skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Good oral, written and presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure to meet specific deadlines
- Ability to build partnership in achieving operational goals
- Good knowledge of information technology
- Associate Degree in Forestry, Agriculture, Natural Science, Environmental Management or related area
- Two (2) years field experience in a related area
- Any other acceptable combination of qualification and experience
Salary Range: $1,066,362.00 - $1,320,593.00 per annum, plus applicable allowances