It will provide guidance and support to senior management on gender policies and trends ensuring relevant alignment to the Commission’s strategic priorities. The role will provide specific support to the implementation and management of the Commissions Environmental and Social Safeguard (ESS) policy, including monitoring and evaluation. It will develop and drive learning and development of gender issues across the organisation ensuring adherence of its policies and practices.
- Ensure compliance, consistency and adherence of established gender policies and procedures.
- Support governance through the continuous review of the OECS Commission’s ESS policy document.
Leadership & Management
- Support the strategic and operational transformation of the Commission into one that is compliant with Gender Equity and Social Inclusion (GESI) policy
- Provide GESI technical leadership and guidance to the organisation and reform projects to ensure that programme and project activities address gender equality, women’s empowerment and inclusion of marginalized groups
- Lead all gender and social inclusion strategies and the input of all matters related to GESI into project work plans and programmatic decisions
- Mentor and develop staff within the Organisation on gender issues and provide guidance on policy, best practices, and lessons learned and ensure compliance where necessary
- Develop and deepen innovative approaches to gender integration, gender equality, and inclusive development
- Ensure that GESI is integrated and mainstreamed across the work program, including project design, implementation and monitoring, operations, as well as in staff training materials, policies and procedures.
- Conduct brief gender assessments as needed.
- Provide technical guidance on gender integration to key personnel, project partners and stakeholders.
- Develop appropriate GESI resources and tools.
- Write quarterly, biannual and annual reports that is inclusive of GESI.
- Document best practices, lessons learned and share with project staff and external stakeholders.
- Provide technical assistance and support in areas such as designing and conducting gender analyses and assessments, and developing toolkits, resource guides, and other technical resources related to the various subject areas of the Commission.
- Support the OECS Commission in meeting the requirements of the Global Climate Fund (GCF) for relevant projects and activities including readiness support.
- Work closely with the Gender Focal Point on project-related requirements;
- Collaborate with the M&E Specialists to ensure robust M&E guidelines are included in gender related frameworks.
- Lend support to Member States as part of OECS support in the context of specific programming interventions.
- Work closely with the Gender Focal Point and the Gender Team in preparing the Annual Gender Scorecard for the Commission and also the brief annual report on key activities related to the Gender Policy.
- Work with the Gender Team and Human Resource, ensure that technical staff in the respective Units receive regular gender training and access to online course and relevant technical materials.
EXPERIENCE & KNOWLEDGE
- Postgraduate qualification in gender and development studies, social sciences, environmental sciences or natural resource management.
- At least 5 years’ experience in gender analysis, gender studies or gender mainstreaming assessment.
- Demonstrated professional experience in applying the internationally accepted Performance Standards to project assessment and development.
- Demonstrated training using gender training tools and techniques.
- Experience working in the Caribbean region.
- Excellent reporting writing and communication skills.
- Strong organisational and planning skills.
- Fluency in English
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies
- Team player at all levels able to collaborate with units and other functional partners
- Experience in supervising staff will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of gender international conventions, gender mainstreaming tool and gender budgeting would be an asset.
- Strong communications skills, and effective report-writing skills in English.
- Strong knowledge and skills in Policy Development.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including experience with the selection and monitoring of effective gender indicators.
- Proven knowledge & experience in gender analysis for policy development.
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into non-gender related programming.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment with tight, sometimes conflicting deadlines.
- Drive with Purpose and Vision
- Create an Environment of Trust
- Build Effective Teams
- Ensure Accountability
- Demonstrate Decision Quality
- Communicate Effectively
The position is on permanent establishment subject to satisfactory annual reviews. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and exempt from income taxes. In addition to the basic salary, the post attracts other allowances. The incumbent will be eligible for membership in the Organisation’s non-contributory Group Health and Life Insurance Scheme and the Group Pension Plan. Reasonable location expenses will be reimbursed where applicable.
Only applications under consideration will be acknowledged.