- To manage SSB’s investment portfolio by evaluating and recommending specific investment opportunities, keeping in mind market trends, laws and regulations in accordance with the Social Security Act, Chapter 44 of the Laws of Belize – Third Schedule, Section 49 “Investment Framework”, and all related investment, risk and HR policies.
- Employing a proactive approach to investment risk (in investment origination, ongoing risk assessment, and reporting), using dynamic processes (including the continuous assessment of each investment or loan exposure, collateral concentrations, and portfolio diversification) and incorporating an emerging risk analysis, will provide SSB’s stakeholders and beneficiaries with greater certainty of sustainable and quality services.
- To provide technical guidance to the Chief Executive Officer and the Social Security Investment Committee and propose strategies to assure the financial soundness and long-term sustainability of the Social Security Fund.
- To provide direction to, oversee, and develop the Investment Services staff
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Manage the SSB Fund in accordance with the Social Security Act and SSB Investment Framework, thereby ensuring “the primary objective of the safety and profitability of the fund” and thereafter to maximize risk-adjusted return on investments.
- Compliance with all applicable policies including the risk framework, investment or credit analysis processes, delegation of authorities, supervisory standards, confidentiality policies, and all HR policies.
- Select specific investments or investment mixes for the investment of SSB’s Funds ensuring that investments are made solely in the best interest of the Fund and that fiduciary duties are discharged with the highest degree of integrity, care, skill, prudence and due diligence.
- Source, evaluate and monitor new investment opportunities.
- Monitor financial and operational performance of individual investments and take necessary steps or recommend appropriate action, in a proactive manner, to ensure the protection and security of the fund and minimize risk where possible.
- Review, develop, enhance and maintain investment processes and policies to ensure the highest level of transparency and accountability in all investment transactions.
- Complete written research to support investment recommendations, including industry sector analysis, collateral concentration analysis, emerging risks, trend analysis and the impact of portfolio stress tests and scenario analysis.
- Produce concise commentaries for SSB executive, Investment Committee and Board which summarize meetings with clients, site visits, in depth due diligence reports, the business, management and financial risk analysis of each loan exposure, and other periodic research exploring current topics of interest in credit and investment risk.
- Monitor market trends and contribute to periodic market updates.
- Monitor regulatory or tax law changes to ensure fund compliance or to capitalize on development opportunities
- Meet with investors to determine investment goals or to discuss investment strategies
- Serve as a resource to the Investment Committee and the Board of Directors seeking current information on investment opportunities including data and analysis
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Leadership Team of Social Security Board
- Ability to understand the overall mission, vision and values of the Social Security Board
- Experience in leading and supervising an investment services team, including assessing core competencies of staff members and identifying skills gaps, conducting performance reviews, and other HR functions.
- Experience in overseeing external asset managers, communicating risk appetite, monitoring discretionary and non-discretionary portfolio and asset manager performance, and procurement and negotiating management fees via a tendering process. Alternatively, direct experience in an investment management (with staff complement) in a senior position external to Belize is beneficial.
- Demonstrate ability to perform effectively in the role of General Manager, Investment Services in getting the work done through a team of competent and qualified personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve organizational and business results through sound leadership of work teams who are collectively responsible for results.
- A compelling leadership style that includes exceptional people management skills, portfolio, project and risk management skills, business process management skills, change management skills and business expertise that collectively will inspire confidence in the Social Security Board.
- Eagerness to lead, with an understanding of world business and financial affairs and an awareness of trends and current activity in the local and international market.
- Proven ability to create and nurture an environment that fosters teamwork and motivate, develop and inspire a team to build a high-performance organization.
- Good judgment, common sense and initiative are required to establish and/or adjust work priorities and assignments to maximize own and work unit’s output and results achievement in investment portfolio management.
- Strong business acumen and the ability to understand the business needs, opportunities and threats and craft strategies and solutions to meet those needs,
Degree level and field: Master’s Degree in Business Management, Finance, Economics or Accounting is preferred or commensurate years of experience
Knowledge and Experience:
- Investment and Risk Management: Extensive knowledge of and proven ability to apply sound investment and risk management principles and practices. Knowledge of current market trends and their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats and the proven ability to assess risk and apply measures to mitigate risks.
- Economics and Accounting: Knowledge of economic and accounting principles, banking and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Working Experience: 7 years+ experience at a senior level in investment, finance, economics or banking. International experience and experience in outsourced fund management arrangements a distinct benefit. Oversight of a team of investment officers, assistants and administrative staff
Application packages containing application letter, resume, two (2) letters of recommendation and copies of professional certification, degrees, diplomas and other academic credentials must be submitted
Application Deadline: April 9th, 2019