The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Head of Mission /Charge d'Affairs Geneva
Job SummaryApplications are now being invited from suitably qualified Nationals of OECS Member States to fill the position of Head of Mission. This post will be based at the OECS Technical Mission in Geneva.
The Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) is an inter-governmental organisation dedicated to economic harmonisation and integration, protection of human and legal rights, and the encouragement of good governance between independent and non-independent states in the Eastern Caribbean.
The Organisation came into being on 18 June, 1981, when seven Eastern Caribbean countries signed a treaty agreeing to cooperate with each other and promote unity and solidarity among the Members. The Treaty became known as the Treaty of Basseterre, so named in honour of the capital city of St. Kitts and Nevis where it was signed The 1981 Treaty was replaced in 2010 with a Revised Treaty of Basseterre, creating an economic union. This Revised Treaty was signed on 18 June, 2010 in Saint Lucia at the 51st Meeting of the Authority of the OECS.
Under the direction of the Head, OECS Geneva Mission, the Technical Attaché III shall be responsible for representing the interests of the OECS in the work of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) and the International Trade Centre (ITC)and advising, analysing and reporting on the same.
Under the direction of the Director of the Economic Affairs and Regional Integration of the OECS Commission, the Head of Mission shall be responsible for representing the interests of the OECS in the work of the WTO, UNCTAD, WIPO and the ITC and monitoring, analysing and reporting on the same.
More specifically, the Head of Mission shall be required to:
- Monitor and advise on all developments and discussions on multilateral trade negotiations and the regular work of the WTO.
- Monitor and advise on developments and discussions on the work of UNCTAD, WIPO and the ITC.
- Provide advice and assistance with the implementation of WTO obligations by OECSWTO members.
- Provide advice, guidance and support to OECS Member Governments on multilateral trade-related matters.
- Provide analyses of pertinent documentation to inform the development of OECS-WTO Members’ positions.
- Canvass support for, make interventions and articulate agreed positions on behalf of Member Governments as directed.
- Prepare regular reports for OECS Governments, Permanent Representatives and the OECS Commission on relevant developments at the WTO, UNCTAD, ITC and WIPO.
- Establish appropriate liaison and follow on relevant matters for the OECS at UNCTAD, WIPO, and The ITC.
- Prepare ad hoc reports on specific issues or developments for individual Member Governments include monitoring of key concerns in the WHO, ITU and ILO.
- Manage and oversee the work of the technical staff of the Mission including reporting on performance
- Collaborate as required with the Eastern Caribbean embassies in Brussels for the proper execution of the functions of both entities.
- Perform such other duties as may be required and directed from time to time by the Director of the Economic Affairs and Regional Integration or the Office of the Director General of the OECS Commission.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
This job requires the equivalent of a master’s degree in International Trade or International Economics and a working knowledge of:
- The functions and operations of the WTO
- The scope content and coverage of multi-lateral trade rules
- Processes, procedures and strategies related to the conduct of trade negotiations
- The roles and functions of specialized agencies of the UN – UNCTAD, WIPO, ITC
- Alliance building and inter-agency liaison
- The developmental and trade priorities and strategies of the OECS
WTO certification in International Trade relations is desirable
Fluency in French is desirable.
- Drives with Purpose and Vision
- Creates an Environment of Trust
- Builds Effective Teams
- Ensures Accountability
- Demonstrates Decision Quality
- Communicates Effectively
- Analysis and Reporting
- Consultation and Facilitation
- Negotiation and Networking
- Programme Management
- Strategic Intelligence
The Head of Mission will be expected to:
- Exercise a high degree of responsibility and professionalism in the execution of duties;
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams of professionals;
- Respect the confidentiality of information and decisions of the Commission and its Institutions;
- Work extended hours when the exigencies of the work of the Mission so require.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- At least a master’s degree in Trade Law or International Economics
- Demonstrable management/leadership capabilities
- Working knowledge of:
- The Revised Treaty of Basseterre and the specific provisions for trade;
- The functions and operations of the WTO and UN agencies;
- Able to understand the scope content and coverage of multi-lateral trade rules;
- Processes, procedures and strategies related to the conduct of trade negotiations;
- The roles and functions of specialised agencies of the UN – UNCTAD, WIPO, ITC
- Alliance building and inter-agency liaison;
- The developmental and trade priorities and strategies of the OECS; WTO certification in International Trade relations desirable;
- At least five years' experience in formulating trade matters (policy, negotiations) preferably in a developing country context;
- Experience producing and understanding complex technical documents.
- Excellent communication (writing, presentation) skills, with fluency in English and French.
- Computer literate, and should be well-acquainted with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
The OECS Commission is headquartered in Saint Lucia, and the position will be located in Geneva. The position of Head of Mission /Charge d’Affaires is open to nationals of OECS member states.