The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Head of Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Research
Job SummaryPerforms highly complex functions related to the overall monitoring and evaluation of the Ministry’s Tobacco Control Programme.
Provides leadership for the conduct of surveillance and surveys. Monitors and analyses information with respect to tobacco related issues.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies overall monitoring and evaluation requirements and mechanisms related to tobacco control.
- Identifies key partners and service providers and provides the Manager TCU with the requisite relationships to inform the drafting of agreements and Memoranda of Understanding
- Identifies reporting requirements required by the Tobacco Control Act and the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control.
- Oversees the establishment of databases for collection and analysis of data which will form the basis for reporting. Develops reporting templates and calendars. Liaises with the Ministry of Planning to ensure alignment of performance management indicators to the National Strategic Plan.
- Identifies detailed inspection and analysis requirements for tobacco manufacturing, distribution and sale.
- Assists in the development of the annual estimates and work plans for the National Tobacco Control Programme for approval by the Manager TCU.
- Presents regular financial and operational progress reports related to tobacco control activities to the Manager TCU.
- Conducts ongoing environmental scanning of developments and trends in the monitoring and evaluation of tobacco-related issues, worldwide and specifically in the CARICOM region. Prepares proposals for improvements in/changes to the requirements related to tobacco control in Trinidad and Tobago.
- Performs ongoing scanning of tobacco related research findings to ensure that Trinidad and Tobago research programmes on tobacco control activities are still valid.
- Represents the TCU at Conferences, or Boards or Committees as may be agreed with the Director.
- Leads/coordinates implementation of research studies on agreed areas related to tobacco control.
- Ensures the delivery of specific and agreed research projects on tobacco control activities.
- Monitors and evaluates tobacco related programmes, standards, policies and procedures undertaken by the stakeholders.
- Monitors and evaluates compliance and population outcomes for tobacco cessation programmes.
- Develops and manage databases on tobacco control.
- Works with non-health sector and nongovernmental organizations in development of monitoring and evaluation capacity for National Tobacco Control Programme.
- Monitors the tobacco industry to ensure compliance with regulations related to the Tobacco Control Act.
- Leads the design and development of a monitoring and evaluation system for the National tobacco Control Programme.
- Facilitates the provision of tobacco testing requirements to the Chemistry, Food and Drugs Laboratory.
- Submits reports on tobacco control and surveillance activities to Cabinet, CARICOM and WHO as required.
- Prepares presentations on research findings on tobacco control activities for internal and external stakeholders.
- Keeps abreast of international best practices in monitoring and evaluation of National Tobacco Control Programmes.
- Submits quarterly reports.
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
- A Masters degree in Health Administration, Public Health, other health related field or related Social Sciences from a recognized institution.
- At least three (3) years of experience working within a health-related organization in either the public or private sector.
- A proven track record in meeting reporting requirements and timelines.
- At least three (3) years of demonstrated experience in the area of monitoring and evaluation, including data-management.
- Experience with the design and management of research projects including outsourced projects.
- Two (2) or more years of experience in qualitative and quantitative programme evaluation and statistical analysis.
- Two (2) years of experience providing training and or technical assistance in evaluation research methodology, data collection and management and data analysis.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of evaluation and programme evaluation in particular
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Knowledge of health issues and trends. Specific tobacco-related knowledge or experience will be a benefit.
- Proven analytical ability.
- Communication skills including excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Technical literacy with computer software.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.