The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Head of Operations
Job SummaryYou will promote stewardship of resources, ensure principled compliance, proactively manage risk, and lead operational improvements.
As a member of the Country Program’s (CP) Senior Management Team, you will provide leadership and management of the operational functions - Finance, Human Resources (HR), Procurement, Supply Chain Management (SCM), Administration, Information and Communication Technology, and Security - in support of the Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) mission to serve the poor and vulnerable.
- Contribute to the CP strategic planning and programming by providing input on needed investments in operations capacity – systems, processes and staffing – that meet CRS’ standards, donor requirements, and local regulations and support high-quality programming. Collaborate with programming leads to ensure appropriate project expenditures in line with financial plans and proper stewardship of material sources.
- Plan, coordinate, and monitor day-to-day operations to ensure all support services are delivered with high-quality in an efficient manner. Anticipate, identify and address challenges that affect the proper stewardship and optimal utilization of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material).
- With the Country Representative oversee the preparation of annual budget plans and grant/project budgets to ensure they reflect maximum operational efficiency and budgetary compliance and mitigate risks. Set and provide technical oversight of internal processes for approving expenses, monitoring spending, and making budget adjustments in line with operational and programmatic needs and with donor requirements.
- Ensure the program is adequately staffed to meet CP needs and HR systems, policies and practices support a high-performance culture, staff development and retention. Assure quality personnel administration and a work environment that truly reflects the agency’s guiding principles.
- Oversee compliance with agency and donor requirements and local laws and regulations through periodic systems checks, review and assessment of CP’s operations policies and procedures. Act as lead contact and responder to issues that emerge from internal and external audits and provide recommendations and guidance to implement improvements.
- Create and maintain the proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Provide capacity strengthening guidance for project teams and partners, which includes cross-departmental learning.
- Effectively manage talent. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports. Monitor and assess performance to ensure adequate capacity for successful support of high quality programming. Contribute to staffing plans and recruitment process of senior staff.
- Monitor and provide analysis of CP business processes within the matrix management model that allows for program support and operations to function at highest efficiencies within agency policies and procedures. Ensure tracking of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and report analysis on a regular basis.
- 4-7 supervisees (depending on CP size)
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field highly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a management position with progressive responsibilities. Experience with an international NGO and experience outside country of origin preferred.
- Understanding of financial systems, including budgeting and budget/expense analysis experience. Knowledge of SunSystems and Vision accounting software or similar financial reporting software highly preferred.
- Knowledge of multiple public donors’ regulations, including USAID, highly preferred.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Knowledge of procurement and general office administration/management issues.
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to work collaboratively
- Team leadership abilities
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language
- French, Haitian Creole a plus
- Up to 25%
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory: Administration, Human Resource, Finance, Procurement, and Security Managers
- Internal: Country Representative, Head of Programming, Heads of Offices,
- External: Donors, including USAID, government, vendors, and partners, including Church
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
Competencies Relevant for the Specific Position (include those that are applicable):
- Will be included upon finalization of the Competency-Based Management project