The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Head, West Indies and Special Collections - The Library
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified individuals for the post of Head, West Indies and Special Collections - The Library
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership and strategic vision for the Collections. S/He will be required to lead the Library’s thrust to inspire discovery, cultivate knowledge, advance research, and preserve cultural heritage through the use of its varied special collections.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Providing leadership, strategic vision, and having direct administrative responsibility for all functions of West Indies and Special Collections;
- Providing leadership for, planning, organizing, administering, and managing staff of the section;
- Establishing and modelling performance standards and expectations to foster a positive and innovative culture;
- Overseeing the provision of reference services to faculty, students, and visiting researchers;
- Developing and refining the collection development policy;
- Working closely with preservation and conservation librarian on handling, storing, protecting, and repairing the collections to preserve them and make them available for use;
- Collaborating closely with Systems section to advance the digitization programme;
- Understanding intellectual property and copyright matters as it pertains to special collections management.
Essential Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies;
- At least 2 years’ experience in leadership and management.
Preferred Qualifications/Experience and Abilities, Skills And Attributes:
- Previous working experience with West Indiana material and collections would be an asset;
- A demonstrated commitment to research and scholarship;
- A consultative and inclusive leadership style.
The University thanks all applicants. However, due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.