The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Health Social Worker
Job SummaryThe Health Social Worker has the responsibility for supporting patients and their families in overcoming psychological and financial obstacles.
The incumbent is responsible for the study, evaluation and interpretation of the psychological, social, economic and environmental background of patients for use in the preparation of plans for their treatment and easing of financial and social burdens as is required.
- Conducts bio-psychological evaluations to evaluate patients’ medical or physical conditions so as to determine the best forms of intervention;
- Refers patient, client or family to community resources to assist in their recovery and to provide access to services such as financial assistance, legal aid and housing ;
- Utilizes consultation data and social work experience to plan and coordinate patient care and rehabilitation, following through to ensure service efficacy;
- Provides input in the development of unit standards, policies and procedures;
- Conducts social research to advance knowledge in the social work field;
- Supports the creation and maintenance of a team approach to the care and treatment of families and patients;
- Actively supports in Field Clinics and other related health fairs;
- Collaborates with the nurses, doctors and other medical staff to support the training/teaching of teachers and students;
- Monitors, evaluates and records clients progress according to measurable goals described in the treatment and care plan;
- Supervises and coaches Social Work students from various tertiary level institutions on their practicum and field experiences;
- Conducts orientation sessions for Medical Interns and Nursing students;
- Negotiates with key social service agencies such as Social Welfare, HDC, Mediation etc to support the immediate requirements of patients;
- Provides counselling and emotional support as well as crisis intervention when assessed appropriate for patients and families
- Attends meetings on behalf of the Medical Consultant or other employees within the Unit.
- Performs other duties related to the core functions of the position as assigned by the Direct Supervisor or the Specialist Medical Officer
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices associated with medical social work
- Working knowledge of record keeping methods for the documentation of patient’s information
- Considerable knowledge of negotiation and conflict resolution skills
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to earn trust and keep confidentiality
- Ability to read labels and directions for the medication and instruments
- Ability to research and effectively document findings
- Ability to demonstrate empathy to patients
- Ability to demonstrate a positive work ethic that supports the quality of service provided by the centre and clinics
- Ability to organize, plan and prioritize work
- Ability to establish and maintain interpersonal relationships
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Ability to direct and lead staff engaged in the performance of support functions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public.
- Ability to use initiative to solve work related problems.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Training as evidence by a degree in Social Work
- Experience in medical or crisis intervention social work would be an asset;
- Registration with the Medical/Psychiatric Social Workers’ Board
We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the positions will be contacted.