The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Health Specialist /Sr. Specialist
Job SummaryWe are currently looking for a Health Specialist / Senior Specialist to join our Social Protection and Health (SPH) Division.
You will be in charge of the operational and economic and sector work program in Jamaica particularly focusing on the areas of health system strengthening, health financing, health policy and strategy formulation and implementation.
The team: Our division prepares and supervises operations in borrowing member countries in the areas of social protection (safety nets and transfers, early childhood development, youth at risk, etc.), health (health capital investment strategies, health networks strengthening, health system financing, organization and performance, etc.) and nutrition.
What you’ll do:
- Lead or participate in the origination, conceptualization and preparation of operations with other team members and respective authorities.
- Lead or assist, in coordination with all relevant parties (executing agencies, fiduciary specialists, among others), the supervision of the execution and the monitoring and evaluation of operations for which the Bank has approved financing.
- Identify and resolve complex execution issues in the execution of IDB financed operations.
- Develop and apply innovative economic and/or sector analytic work to support the preparation of country, sector and regional strategies, loan operations and technical assistance programs in the health area, especially in the sphere of health network organization and financing and prevention and control of non-communicable diseases.
- Share and disseminate economic/sector knowledge and learning experience to enhance the relevance of the IDB to borrowing countries and the region.
- Engage in policy dialogue with Government authorities and development partners based on your proven knowledge of the sector, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies and guidelines.
- Foster health sector modernization and transformation in borrowing countries.
- Collaborate with and support the activities of the IDB Invest, within the IDB Group.
- Manage project teams and resources effectively.
- Provide input to prepare business plans and budgets for the accomplishment of our work program, and to report on progress to internal and external stakeholders.
- Build networks and actively engage with health specialists in other multilateral and bilateral institutions to promote coordination and cooperation initiatives.
Skills you’ll need:
Education: Master’s degree (PhD preferred) in economics, public health, medicine, health care administration/management or other related discipline.
- Experience: A minimum of 4 years (6 years preferred) of relevant and substantive development policy and operational experience. We would look for you to have: (i) a proven expertise in health care network improvement programs, health system management and/or or health financing; (ii) a firm understanding of policies and implementation strategies to combat non-communicable diseases (NCD); (iii) extensive field experience in working with national government and other partners at national and sub-national level in health sector policy strategy formulation as well as experience in supporting implementation of programs in complex environments; and (iv) knowledge of digital health tools.
- Languages: You are proficient in English and Spanish. Portuguese or French would be a plus.
- Technical Sector Dialogue
Engages in policy dialogue based on solid knowledge of the sector, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies and guidelines.
- Sector Development
Takes actions to promote sector priorities based on country and regional needs and key IDB priorities.
- Economic and Sector Work
Develops and applies economic and/or sector analytic work to support the preparation of country, sector and regional strategies and country dialogue, loan operations and technical assistance programs.
- Project Analysis and Design
Conceptualizes, prepares and participates in the approval of projects and programs (loans and technical cooperation), in coordination with other team members and the respective authorities.
- Change Management
Formulates and implements integrated change proposals to contribute to sector modernization and transformation in borrowing countries.
- Project Supervision
Effectively supports the execution of projects and programs to maximize their results.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
Designs and implements effective monitoring and evaluation methodologies for projects and programs.
- Knowledge Management and Dissemination
Effectively shares and disseminates economic/sector knowledge and learning experience to enhance the relevance of the IDB to borrowing countries and the region.
- Collaboration, Teamwork and Inclusion
Definition: Works cooperatively with others independent of background (e.g., gender, ethnic origin, religion, disability, sexual orientation, background, perspective) or organizational role, and takes a teambased and inclusive approach to projects and decision making.
- Innovation and Creativity
Definition: Develops imaginative ideas and solutions through creativity, experimentation and critical thinking.
- Communication and Influence
Definition: Communicates effectively and leverages relationships and strategies to influence others.
- Client Focus
Definition: Understands client needs and provides services that meet their expectations for quality and performance; meets the Bank's expectations for ethical behavior.
Type of contract: Fixed term
Length of contract: 3 years
Starting date: April 1st, 2018
Location: Country Office of the Inter-American Development Bank in Jamaica.
Requirements: Candidates must be citizens of one of the IDB’s 48-member countries and have no family members currently working at the bank.
If the selected candidate is international the specialist will be expected to rotate between country assignments every circa 3 to 5 years; should the candidate be national from Jamaica he/she will be offered a local contract.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.