The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Health Visitor supervises and instructs Community Nurses in approved methods and techniques of public health nursing in accordance with policies of the Ministry of Health and the Nursing Council.
The incumbent provides nursing care to patient of the Queen’s Park Counselling Centre and Clinic and Field Clinics.
SUPERVISION GIVEN TO:
Health Social Workers, Community Nurses, Medical Laboratory Technologists and Assistant Nurses
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervises and instructs Community Nurses in approved methods and techniques of public health nursing in accordance with policies of the Ministry of Health and the Nursing Council
- Supervises the operation of out-patients clinics or assists in supervising the Community Nursing Services in Queen’s Park Counselling Centre and Clinic and Field Clinics
- Prepares weekly and monthly reports and keeps accurate records
- Performs generalized health nursing duties in homes and out-patient clinics
- Supports the Medical Officer and/or Medical Consultant at clinics and during school medical inspection; advises on diets, sanitary precautions and personal hygiene
- Assists in research and investigation of communicable diseases when requested
- Supports persons in coming to terms with their illnesses
- Advises patients on available and appropriate medical and social services available
- Performs other duties related to the core functions of the position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of principles, procedures, methods and techniques of nursing practice;
- Considerable knowledge of medical terminology;
- Considerable knowledge of principles and procedures of medical record keeping
- Working knowledge of management concepts, principles and practices
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to lead a team
- Ability to provide administrative and nursing orientation to staff
- Ability to earn trust and keep confidentiality
- Ability to demonstrate empathy to patients
- Ability to demonstrate a positive work ethic that supports the quality of service provided by the centre and clinics
- Ability to learn assigned tasks of limited complexity and variety readily.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and the public.
- Ability to stay abreast of net trends and innovations in the areas of disease prevention and treatment
- Ability to use initiative to find solutions for simple work related issues.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Certificate in General Nursing supplemented by a Diploma in District Health Visiting from a recognized institution
- Working experience in Community Nursing and/or training as evidenced by the possession of a Nursing Certificate or valid supporting document from a recognized organization/ institution.
- Post graduate qualifications in nursing or a related field will be considered an asset
We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the positions will be contacted.