The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
ICT Engineer – Network Operations Centre
Job SummaryTo engineer, operate, administrate and maintain Network Operations Centre (NOC) facilities in order to maintain a 99.95% uptime for the infrastructure provided by the eGovernment Agency.
- Minimum 99.95 availability of the eGovernment Agency’s infrastructure.
- Up-to-date documented expert organisational knowledge of the overall make-up, status and health of the infrastructure.
RANGE OF ACTIVITIES:
- Participate as part of the designing team of the NOC section of eGovernment Agency.
- Responsible for the engineering of monitoring, alerting and related infrastructure..
- Ensure the availability of a suitable spares inventory.
- Over see the operations, administration and maintenance of the NOC infrastructure.
- Collaborate with the CTO, Manager of the Data Centre Services, senior ICT Engineer and other staff to establish eGovernment Agency standards and best practices.
- Planning and management of assigned work, in the form of independent projects .
- Collaborate with the Infrastructure management team on refining overall operational and project specific budgets.
- Deliver technical training and knowledge sharing for Technicians.
- Participate in the development of operating procedures for the eGovernment Agency.
- Proactively create and maintain documentation of work performed, in accordance with the policies of the eGovernment Agency.
- Participate in cross-functional teams to successfully implement approved solutions.
- Work on multiple projects involving tight deadlines.
- Performs other related tasks that may be required from time to time to drive Divisional objectives or special project initiatives.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical / Electronics Engineering, Automation, Computer Engineering or related field from a recognized university PLUS a minimum of five (3) years relevant experience in Information Technology.
- Must have technical competence in implementation and maintenance of enterprise or carrier grade NOC systems, and knowledge of business processes.
- Ability to review and validate NOC system solution components.
- Demonstrated success in NOC systems development, deployment and implementation at an enterprise or higher level.
- Have a thorough understanding of modern monitoring, alerting and related systems.
- Have a thorough working knowledge of telemetry systems.
- Experience working with both Windows and Linux based operating systems and services.
- Knowledge of a broad range of computer-related technologies and best practices.
- Ability to identify, gather and compile relevant technical data.
- Strong inter-personal skills so as to work in multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, including technical writing skills.
- Bring to bear problem solving skills to develop alternatives and solutions to technical issues.
- Ability to interact with and support end-users at various organisational levels during various phases of the development or implementation lifecycle.
DECISION MAKING, PROBLEM SOLVING AND IMPACT ON RESULTS:
The incumbent is required to make technical decisions regarding the design and implementation of ICT solutions in the area of NOC that directly impact the success of projects. The incumbent is regularly involved in collaborative problem-solving and critical thinking in identifying and resolving technical issues related to the NOC components of systems or ongoing ICT projects. When work goals are not met, the incumbent is responsible for resolving these issues, which may include but are not limited to taking remedial actions. Wrong decisions can lead to system downtime potentially resulting in government ministries and agencies being unable to conduct business and ultimately resulting in public dissatisfaction with the public service.
- Responsible for optimising the use of the network monitoring system.
- Responsible for technical leadership of ad hoc cross-functional teams.
- NOC tools and learning resources in execution of duties.
- Regular written and oral communication with the following groups/persons:
- Manager, Data Centre Services
- NOC team
- Other Department Heads
In addition to normal office conditions, the incumbent is required to travel and work away from the office including hinterland and rural locations in all ten Administrative Regions. The incumbent is also required to work outside of normal office hours, weekends and holidays, and respond to emergency call-outs when necessary.