The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Information Systems Support Specialist
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to provide maintenance and support services for information systems software of the Ministry/Department.
Duties include: ensuring the security of the application data; supporting and maintaining the software applications; assisting with the enhancement of these software applications; providing training to key stakeholders on these systems; and supervising Technical and Support Staff as required. Depending on work assignment, the incumbent will be required to perform these duties in a specified category of software application solutions, such as: a) the business information systems of the Ministry/Department; b) the Ministry/Department-specific information systems; c) any defined combination of business and Ministry/Department-specific information systems.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists with the development of software tests, and with the execution of the system and acceptance testing of modified or enhanced information systems, particularly for those areas of technical specialisation.
- Determines the information systems requirements from management and stakeholders of the Ministry/Department and confirms their alignment with defined business objectives; and specifies, documents and prioritises these requirements, in accordance with defined standards and practices.
- Assesses, analyses, develops, documents and implements changes to the Ministry/Department-specific applications in accordance with defined change control procedures.
- Investigates and resolves related security incidents according to defined procedures and maintains the specified security controls required by policy to maintain confidentiality, integrity and availability of the information systems of the Ministry/Department.
- Investigates operational support requirements and problems, and identifies opportunities for improvements in the Ministry/Department-specific business functions and processes; and assists users in defining acceptance tests.
- Assists with the support and maintenance of information systems, including the identification and mitigation of project risk, and monitoring of projects.
- Investigates problems with the application software; and assists with the implementation of agreed solutions and preventative measures.
- Maintains software application support processes, and oversees support requests to ensure that all support requests are addressed in accordance with agreed procedures.
- Delivers learning activities, such as training, on the information systems of the Ministry/Department to a variety of audiences.
- Keeps abreast of specific technical specialisations in the software operations, maintenance and support area and utilises this knowledge in performing job duties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of software maintenance and enhancement processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Some knowledge of the principles, tools and techniques required for the management and control of ICT within an organisation.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to supervise technical and support staff.
- Ability to think creatively and to enhance and maintain application software solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to promote teamwork and manage conflict.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public and external stakeholders.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience in an area of ICT, including at least eighteen (18) months’ experience in the maintenance, support and enhancement of software applications.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognized Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems Management, Computer Engineering or a related area.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.