The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Investment Analyst (FMG/PA 3)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the vacant post of Investment Analyst (FMG/PA 3) in the Accountant General’s Department (AGD).
The Investment Analyst has responsibility for the proper on going assessment, planning and management of treasury deposits and surplus funds routed through the Treasury Deposits Unit to ensure the best returns on investments.
- Identifies and implements the kind of investment initiatives that will contribute to the good financial health of the Treasury;
- Manages all aspects of investment portfolios;
- Researches and analyzes market conditions, regulatory environment, and other relevant issues in order to develop and implement strategies to capitalize on profitable market opportunities for the investment portfolio. This includes Government market funding, medium/long term debt, private placements, hedging, and other similar asset and liability management issues;
- Co-ordinates the trading of investment portfolios including, Trust funds, and other portfolios that are the responsibilities of the Department;
- Creates and maintains an up-to-date portfolio of all investments;
- Develops and manages long-term and short-term investment strategies;
- Develops and recommends the goals and risk tolerance as it pertains to the investments;
- Assesses risk/return trade-offs in keeping with guidelines;
- Develops and assesses performance benchmarks; recommends changes when warranted; reviews and recommends changes to the investment policies based on the market conditions;
- Conducts benchmark studies of banks/financial institutions and their services to evaluate whether it fits the Governement of Jamaica’s requirements;
- Prepares and submits timely and accurate reports, special reports, forecasts and statements on the investment responsibilities ensuring compliance with overall investment guidelines and strategy;
- Performs quantitative and qualitative analysis to support the monitoring of the existing portfolio investments, including building a more comprehensive monitoring programme;
- Monitors and tracks investments and risk exposures of existing investments and capital allocation on an on-going basis;
- Makes recommendations to fund managers, articulating the risk or payoff for each recommendation;
- Ensures compliance with all governing regulations.
- Ensures staff compliance with relevant laws, regulations, policies, procedures and Instructions governing the operations of the AGD;
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements, directs and evaluates the performance of staff supervised;
- Leads in the smooth and efficient operation of investments through the management of daily operations;
- Establishes and implements systems for reporting of work done against stated and agreed work plans;
- Contributes to the establishment of internal control processes;
- Meets or exceeds performance targets.
Human Resource Management:
- Plans, organizes and directs the work of staff by participating in the development of performance targets for the Unit and staff (Unit Operation Plan) based on the Divisional Operation Plan;
- Ensures that staff have sufficient and appropriate physical resources to enable them to undertake their duties efficiently and effectively;
- Provides leadership and guidance through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring, coaching and disciplinary action;
- Participates in the hiring of direct reports;
- Recommends transfer, promotion, termination and leave in accordance with established Human Resource Policies and Procedures;
- Identifies skills/competencies gaps and collaborates with the Manager Training and Development to develop and implement Staff Development and Succession Plans for staff supervised to ensure adequate staff capacity;
- Monitors job specific and environmental factors, implements and promotes health and safety policies; and mitigates and minimizes workplace hazards;
- Monitors the performance of staff and ensures effective and objective staff performance management, through timely and accurate completion of the staff appraisal process, including periodic reviews;
- Ensures the welfare of staff are clearly identified and addressed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Sound knowledge of Accounting practices and applications
- Sound knowledge of how financial markets operate
- Comprehensive knowledge of investment strategies, banking, and financial instruments;
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) Knowledge of Government Accounting
- Sound knowledge in developing financial strategies, identifying monetary resources, developing action plans
- Good knowledge of information technology and pertinent applications/software General knowledge of public treasury operations
- Sound knowledge of FAA Act, (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) GAAP and other reporting requirements for investments and other financial instruments
- Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, and Problem Solving: The capacity to analyze problems promptly, choose between alternatives, and effect meaningful solutions
- Strategic Vision: The ability to demonstrate awareness of and or anticipate changing environmental trends, industry opportunities and threats/risks
- Performance Management: The ability to align resources, systems, standards and activities to effectively, efficiently and consistently meet the goals and objectives of the Division in a consistent, effective and efficient manner
- Collaboration and Team Work: The ability to be a collaborative business leader, and an inspiring professional who shows a genuine intention to participate and work
- co-operatively with others in pursuit of team goals
- Leadership and Team Building: The ability to provide vision, direction, allocate resources, delegate responsibilities and motivate staff in one’s team, to include leading by example
- Change Management: The ability to maintain effectiveness in a changing environment and the willingness to respond quickly and positively to change, to lead others through change and manage their concerns
- Customer and Quality Focus: The ability to continuously ensure high standards of quality and service delivery to meet customers’ expectations
- Emotional Intelligence: Possession of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and social skills – the ability to display behaviours appropriate to the AGD’s business and social environment
- Integrity: The ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethical standards, observe the codes of conduct for employees and codes of professional practice, and show consistency between established values and behaviours, in order to build trust and credibility
- Interpersonal skills: The ability to display sensitivity towards others, interact collaboratively with colleagues, and to build long term internal and external relationships and gain support to achieve desired objectives
- Managing the Client Interface: Ability to work effectively with others, both internal and external to the Department, to deliver acceptable, customer-oriented and high quality service
- Oral and Written Communication: The ability to communicate proficiently orally, in writing, and in one- on- ones face- to- face, with excellent public speaking skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Management Studies with Accounting or Business Administration from a recognized University or;
- ACCA Level 2 or;
- Associate of Science Degree in Accounting, MIND, along with the Diploma in Government Accounting, MIND.
- Evidence of continuing professional development in Accounting;
- At least five (5) years’ experience working at the management level in Accounting or Finance, with at least three (3) years in the Public Sector.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Required to travel locally and internationally; this position requires up to 40% travel;
- Pressured working conditions with critical deadlines.
Salary range $2,097,527 – $2,493,300 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.