The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryReporting to the ICAP Project Director for the Haiti PHIA, the Laboratory Advisor will be responsible for overseeing the laboratory component of the PHIA within Haiti.
The Laboratory Advisor will also work closely with the in-Haiti sub-contracted/partner lab organization, CDC, MoH, and survey teams to ensure that laboratory samples are correctly collected, processed, and transported and that results are returned in a timely manner. This position is grant funded.
- Assist with development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the implementation of all lab related aspects of the PHIA project;
- Hire, train and supervise a team of laboratory officers, as needed;
- Review the development and implementation of QA/QC procedures for point of care HIV rapid testing and PIMA CD4 point of care testing conducted by the laboratory subcontractor in the study;
- Review the development and implementation of QA/QC procedures for the collection, processing and storage of other study-related lab specimens by the survey subcontractor in the study including for HIV recency, HIV RNA, and HIV DNA PCR for EID;
- Ensure laboratory specimen data are correctly captured in the study database and assist with routine data analysis;
- Assist with the interpretation of laboratory results from the PHIA project and provide feedback on ways to improve/streamline lab procedures and systems;
- Work directly with laboratory subpartner(s) for the PHIA survey
- Assist the PHIA team to develop strategies to ensure timely reporting of results to study participants;
- Review weekly laboratory reports provided by the laboratory subcontractor, and assist the Project Director with preparing regular progress reports;
- Represent ICAP in discussions with national stakeholders and assess ways in which national capacity to process samples can be developed and strengthened;
- Liaise with laboratory technical staff in ICAP NY Headquarters (HQs), and CDC Haiti.
- Master’s degree in a relevant scientific field strongly preferred
- Minimum 2 years of related experience in providing laboratory technical expertise in HIV surveys.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with partners, staff, and colleagues with a high level of tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Ability to prioritize, act independently, work under deadlines, and implement several tasks at once.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE AND OTHER SKILLS:
- 5+ years of experience managing a clinical or research laboratory;
- PhD in laboratory sciences
- Extensive knowledge and experience in design, implementation and management of laboratory services in HIV programs;
- Satellite lab QA and QI experience
- Knowledge/experience of procurement procedures and equipment/supply/stock tracking and inventory;
- Experience with lab-related data management systems;
- High level of proficiency in relevant computer applications, particularly Excel;
- Excellent interpersonal, management, and communication skills.
- May require periodic trips to partner sites, conferences and/or off site meetings within Haiti (requiring overnight stay of up to two days);