The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Laboratory Assistant (SOG/ST 2)
Job SummaryJamaica National Heritage Trust invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to be assigned to the post of Laboratory Assistant (SOG/ST 2).
The Laboratory Assistant of the Jamaica National Heritage Trust (JNHT) supports the laboratory employees by maintaining glassware in clean condition while assisting in maintaining logs and record books, troubleshooting and resolving problems as we'll as helping with special projects. He or she assists in operating a range of equipment specific to the job requirements including the electrolytic reduction system, vacuum tank and pump, demineraliser, pneumatic chisel, X-Ray machine, HVLP sprayer, laboratory oven, stereoscope, camera and various types of chemical apparatus.
- Maintain a clean conservation laboratory and annex. Wash, clean and dust cupboards, work surfaces and regularly clean the chemical store room.
- Keep laboratory supplies ready and at hand by conducting an inventory of the stock, placing orders and verifying receipt.
- Operate the various equipment and machinery such as: electrolytic tanks, demineraliser vacuum tank and pneumatic chisel, X-Ray machine, HVLP sprayer and laboratory oven.
- Prepare conservation materials by retrieving/returning chemicals from the store room and mix chemicals to the specifications of the Conservator or designate.
- Document information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books submit to the Conservator or designate.
- Ensure that safety and security standards are maintained with respect to the temperature of solvents and being able to extinguish different types of chemical fires.
REQUIRED SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Is analytical, precise and pays attention to details.
- Has high ethical conduct and demonstrated integrity.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATIONAND EXPERIENCE
- Six (6) G.C.E Ordinary Level or CXC passes including: English Language, Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
- Two (2) years of experience in a similar capacity.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.