The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe South-West Regional Health Authority (SWRHA) is pleased to invite suitably qualified persons to forward applications to fill the vacanct post of Laboratory Manager at the SWRHA.
The Laboratory Manager is responsible for organizing, planning, directing and controlling all Clinical Laboratory work in the San Fernando General Hospital (SFGH) in conjunction with the Clinical Head of Department, Pathology and liaising with the Laboratory Quality Manager. The work involves coordinating the administrative and technical services of the laboratory service, assisting in the formulation of policy, advising and supervising Technical Section Leaders, training subordinate staff, overseeing the ordering of laboratory supplies and ensuring the safe and effective working of the Pathology Laboratory. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Clinical Head of Department, Pathology who reviews work through reports, meetings and general observations.
The Laboratory Manager will report to the Clinical Head of Department.
key functions & Duties:
- Organizes, plans and directs all clinical laboratory work in the SFGH in a safe and effective manner.
- Assists in the development of policies and innovation in line with best practice in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders (Clinical Head of Department, Pathology, Laboratory Quality Manager, Senior Quality Coordinator and Quality Improvement Department).
- Interprets, prepares and distributes statistical data regarding Laboratory Services within the Region to include equipment utilization and maintenance.
- Contributes to the formulation of policy in respect of in-service training and identifies training needs in collaboration with the Clinical Head of Department, Pathology and makes recommendations for staff training and staff rotation when necessary.
- Supervises the activities of junior staff in accordance with the SWRHA, Human Resources Policies and Procedures Manual by assigning and monitoring work, providing regular feedback on performance, coaching, training and mentoring, completing performance appraisals and initiating disciplinary action when necessary.
- Implements standards relevant to a clinical laboratory and ensures that National Standards and international quality standards are conformed to and consistently maintained e.g. proficiency testing.
- Prepares proposals for equipment and positions in collaboration with the Clinical Head of Department, Pathology, for Laboratory Services and participates in employment interviews.
- Performs other related duties as may be required.
key knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Intermediate interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of inventory management and control.
- Sound leadership and organization skills.
- Innovative thinking.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Ability to formulate and set policies.
- Ability to analyze and conduct laboratory research.
- Ability to work as an effective part of a team.
- Ability to work independently at an advanced level.
- Experience in implementing internationally accepted standards in Clinical Laboratory Medicine.
Required Qualifications, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology.
- A Specialist Diploma in an area of Laboratory Medicine e.g. Microbiology.
- A recognised Diploma in Business Management.
- Registration with the Medical Laboratory Technicians’ Board, Council for the Professions related to Medicine Act.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant working experience in a supervisory capacity in a clinical laboratory