The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Job SummaryThe Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) is inviting applications from candidates with the requisite skills and competencies from its Member States to apply for the position of Legal Drafter.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the overall direction of the General Counsel, the Legal Drafter will be responsible fordrafting, reviewing and amending legislation as directed; provide support to the Legal Unit in achieving its objectives andrespond whenever necessary to the General Counsel on matters related to work in progress.
- Recommend to the General Counsel the Acts, Regulations and other implementing instruments of the Organisation that may be enacted by the OECS Authority and provide drafts of such Acts, Regulations and implementing instruments to the General Counsel to be considered for enactment.
- Prepare bi-monthly reports of the legislative drafter’s duties and tasks and report to the General Counsel on the same.
- Keep the functioning of the legislative drafter under continuous review and report the findings to the General Counsel.
- Liaise with all theInstitutions and Organs of the Organisation, Member States, Chief Parliamentary Counsels and other relevant external agencies in the execution of the Organisation’s legislative agenda, so as to guarantee theaccuracyofdraftinginstructionsreceived.
- Support law reform and law revision initiatives in the OECS Member States by proposing, reviewing, preparing andsubmitting draft of Acts and Regulations to the General Counsel to be considered for enactment.
- Undertake research, and provide legal advisory support and opinions to all Institutions and Organs of the Organisation to ensure the interests of the Organisation are promoted and safeguarded.
- Represent the Organisation at workshops, conferences, committees and other meetings.
- Attend meetingsofthe OECS LegalAffairsCommitteeand follow up on decisions, recommendations or directives approved at such meetings.
- Coordinate and oversee the preparation of the draft agenda for Meetings of the OECS Assembly and submit the draft agenda to the General Counsel for approval.
- Attend meetingsofthe OECS Assembly andperforms the duties of the Clerk of the Assembly, which include providing authoritative advice on procedural matters to theSpeaker, individual membersoftheAssemblyand the Chairman of Committees; supervise the preparation and maintain the authentic records of proceedings of the Assembly; initiate, co-ordinate and implement a non-legislative agenda for the Assembly and manage a forum for discussion for Assembly Members to further that agenda; compile Votes and Proceedings of the Assembly; and prepare and publish all legislation and instruments for publication in the Gazette of all Member States.
- Review the printed proof of Acts, Regulationsand other implementing instruments of the Organisation to ensure that the published Acts, Regulationsand other implementing instruments are consistent with instructions.
- Undertake such other work and perform such other duties relating to the functions of the Organisation as may be assigned from time to time by the General Counsel.
- Drafting, reviewing and amending legislation as directed.
- Provide support to the Legal Unit in achieving its objectives.
- Required to respond whenever necessary to the General Counsel on matters related to work in progress.
- Works under the direction of and reports to the General Counsel.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- A degree in law and a postgraduate qualification in legislative drafting.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a practicing Attorney at Law of which at least three years has been spent as a Legislative Drafter.
- Experience in the drafting of model legislation, international agreements and contracts.
- Experience in preparing and communicating reports to stakeholders.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work as a team.
- Sound working knowledge of the legislative process, legal systems and issues relating to the OECS Members States.
Subject Matter Knowledge:
- International Law and Trade
- Treaty Law
- Legislative Drafting
- Achieving Results
- Agility and Flexibility
- Customer Service and Relationship
- Management Diplomacy
- Information and Knowledge
- Management Innovation and Creativity
- Political Acuity
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Relationship Management
Role Specific Competencies:
- Analysis and Reporting
- Consultation and Facilitation
- Strategic Intelligence
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
The position shall be based in St. Lucia. The salary is tax free. The successful applicant will also be eligible for membership in the Organisation’s Group Health and Life Insurance. The Organisation will meet reasonable relocation expenses where applicable.
Interested persons are asked to forward a curriculum vitae stating nationality, as well as the contact information of the present or most recent employer and that of two referees, a cover letter and any other supporting documentation.
Only applications under consideration will be acknowledged.