The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Legal Officer III
Job SummaryThe Organisation of Eastern Caribbean States (OECS) is inviting applications from candidates with the requisite skills and competencies from its Member States to apply for the position of Legal Officer III.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the General Counsel, the Legal Officer will be responsible for the provision of professional, efficient and ethical legal services to the Organisation in matters related but not limited to the conduct of Civil Litigation, provision of legal advice, drafting and vetting of contracts and other agreements.
- Represent the Organisation in matters in the OECS Member States and provides guidance and assistance to the Administrative Assistant/Para Legal in the conduct and progress of matters.
- Prepare bi-monthly reports of the duties and tasks and report to the General Counsel on such duties and tasks.
- Keep the functioning of the duties and tasks under continuous review and report the findings to the General Counsel.
- Function as a legal representative of the Organisation in matters involving international treaty obligations and other civil law issues.
- Review and or draft all legal documents ofthe Organization, including legal briefs, contracts and other agreements.
- Conduct research, and provide legal advisory support and opinions to all Institutions and Organs of the Organisation to ensure that the interests of the Organisation are promoted and safeguarded.
- Assist the Clerk of the OECS Assembly in relation to the servicing of meetings of the Assembly and follow up on decisions, recommendations or directives approved at such meetings.
- Represent the Organisation on boards, committees, working groups, conferences and other meetings.
- Liaise with other Legal Officers on matters affecting the Legal Unit and ensure familiarity with all major matters involving the Unit.
- Undertake such other work and perform such other duties relating to the functions of the Organisation as may be assigned from time to time by the General Counsel.
- Achieving Results
- Agility and Flexibility
- Customer Service and Relationship Management
- Information and Knowledge Management
- Innovation and Creativity
- Political Acuity
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Relationship Management
Role Specific Competencies:
- Analysis and Reporting
- Consultation and Facilitation
- Strategic Intelligence
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate should also meet the following criteria:
- A first degree in Law, preferably from a university in the CARICOM member states;
- A post graduate degree in one or more of the main areas of work of the Legal Department (e.g. Public International Law, Legislative Drafting, International Trade Law, Intellectual Property Law).
- A minimum of 5 years of professional legal experience;
- In depth knowledge of the legal systems of the OECS sub-region.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
The position shall be based in St. Lucia. The salary is tax free. The successful applicant will also be eligible for membership in the Organisation’s Group Health and Life Insurance. The Organisation will meet reasonable relocation expenses where applicable.
Interested persons are asked to forward a curriculum vitae stating nationality, as well as the contact information of the present or most recent employer and that of two referees, a cover letter and any other supporting documentation.
Only applications under consideration will be acknowledged.