The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Library Assistant (PIDG/LA 2)
Job SummaryUnder the direct Supervision of the Senior Librarian, the incumbent assists in the processing and organizing of all incoming materials necessary to satisfy user demand.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Sorts and indexes periodicals received;
- Maintains visible index;
- Accessions incoming material;
- Places books on shelves according to class number;
- Cuts, mounts and assigns subject headings to newspaper clippings;
- Photocopies and scans materials on behalf of clients;
- Records statistics on the Question and Answer Service Project, Access to Information and other user information for the generation of reports;
- Mounts exhibitions, in house, Agricultural shows and conferences;
- Provides information to visitors.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good knowledge of library technical operations (accessioning, cataloguing, circulation)
- Good knowledge of CDs/ ISIS WINISIS cataloguing database
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Good knowledge of the Ministry’s operations
- Good knowledge of the operations of Government
- Good customer service skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good teamwork and cooperation skills
- Good client relations skills
- Good management of external relationships
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Certificate in Library Technical Assistance or equivalent;
- Four (4) CXC or GCE “O” Level subjects inclusive of English Language and a numeric subject;
- At least one (1) years’ experience as a Library Assistant.
Special Condition Associated with the Job
- Working environment involves possible exposure to dust.
Salary range $700,634 – $832,833 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.