The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Livestock Research Assistant (SOG/ST 3)
Job SummaryUnder the direct supervision of the Livestock Research Officer (SOG/ST 5), Livestock Research Assistant (SOG/ST 3) assists in the maintenance of all records, implementation and monitoring of prescribed husbandry and breeding and nutritional practices
The incumbent also supervises Farm Hands essential to the operational integrity of the Unit.
- Prepares and submits fortnightly wages for approval;
- Assists in the scheduling and preparation of application for leave for Farm Hands;
- Prepares requisition for the Main Stores;
- Prepares reports;
- Assists the Livestock Research Officer with the implementation of Research Projects and the recordation of data.
- Assists with the preparation of fortnightly work programmes and monitor their implementation.
- Examines flocks / herds on a daily basis in order to ensure proper maintenance of animal health.
- Prepares and submits information for reports to Livestock Research Officer
- Participates in the training of students and farmers;
- Monitors the implementation and maintenance of breeding progamme;
- Monitors the implementation of prescribed husbandry and nutrition programmes for all classes of stock;
- Maintains all records pertaining to birth, death, sales and inventory of animals;
- Maintains a sub-store of feed, medication and other supplies and monitors their distribution and use;
- In consultation with the project manager, determines and secures support with respect of machinery, other equipment and services from the Farm Management Unit;
- Prepares and maintains all records on animal performance;
- Liaises with animal health and artificial insemination technicians in order to ensure the treatment and breeding of animals;
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of direct reportees;
- Assists in the preparation of Performance appraisals and recommendations;
- Maintains a system that fosters a culture of teamwork and commitment to the goals of the Division;
- Supervises Farm Hands.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good problem solving and conflict management skills
- Excellent team work and cooperation skills
- Good customer and quality focus skills
- Excellent knowledge of animal management practices
- Good knowledge of electronic data storage and retrieval
- Proficiency in record keeping procedures
- Fundamental knowledge of the operations and procedures of Government
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Diploma in Agriculture or equivalent qualification from a recognized institution.
Special Condition Associated with the Job
- Working environment involves possible exposure to dusty conditions, hazardous chemical, drugs and zoonotic disease conditions.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.