The Manager, Accounting Standards and Policies, ensures that the standard cash IPSAS is rolled out and in use by all Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs); that the necessary training and monitoring is provided; it is implemented across Government to ensure compliance with standards that give a true and fair presentation and full disclosure of the affairs of the Government and that the accounts are prepared according to the set regulations, laws, standards and guidelines.
- Participates in the development/amendment, implementation and maintenance of, IPSAS compliant Government’s Accounting standards, instructions, policies and procedures;
- Develops, revises or evaluates and approves accounting and financial management manuals and guidelines, handouts, brochures etc. for use in the Public Sector and ensure the proper distribution of these documents to the relevant officers;
- Co-ordinates the training needs analysis of Finance and Accounting Officers in the Public Sector;
- Collaborates with the Training and Development Manager to develop and deliver co- ordinated and integrated training programmes for Finance and Accounting Officers in The Public Sector;
- Creates system to monitor the effectiveness of training courses against standards, oversees the analysis of results and takes corrective action in the event of poor results;
- Provides guidance to the Accountant General’s Department (AGD) and Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) on custody and maintenance of Chart of Accounts;
- Maintains relations between the Treasury and other Government Departments in accordance with defined procedures;
- Distributes Financial Regulations and issues Treasury Circulars so that there are adequate systems relevant to public financial management for the general upkeep and maintenance of accounting systems;
- Conducts research and recommends changes to policies, procedures and systems to enhance Public Financial Management (PFM);
- Assists with the establishment of internal control systems;
- Deputizes for the Director, Standards and Policies, when required;
- Performs any other related duty that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Competencies
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting practices and applications
- Comprehensive knowledge of international Public Sector Accounting Standards IPSAS
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit (FAA) Act and other relevant acts and regulations
- Knowledge of Government Accounting
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Public Finance Legal Framework
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of Government of Jamaica (GoJ) operations and of Public Sector issues;
- Sound understanding of the public expenditure policy environment and the aims and methods of Public Sector Modernization
- Managing the Client Interface: Ability to work effectively with others, both internal and external to the Department, to deliver acceptable, customer-oriented and high quality service
- Customer and Quality Focus: The ability to continuously ensure high standards of quality and service delivery to meet customers’ expectations
- Analytical Thinking, Decision Making, and Problem Solving Skills: The capacity to analyze problems promptly, choose between alternatives and effect meaningful solutions.
- Oral and Written Communication Skills: The ability to communicate proficiently orally, in writing and in one-on-one, face- to- face, with excellent public speaking skills.
- Strategic Planning: The ability to develop effective plans in keeping with the Department’s objectives, including to determine priorities and set medium and long term goals
- Performance Management: The ability to align resources, systems, standards and activities to effectively, efficiently and consistently meet the goals and strategic objectives of the Department
- Collaboration and Team Work: The ability to be a collaborative business leader, and an inspiring professional who shows a genuine intention to participate and work co- operatively with others in pursuit of team goals
- Interpersonal skills: The ability to display sensitivity towards others, interact collaboratively with colleagues and to build long term internal and external relationships and gain support to achieve desired objectives
- Change Management: The ability to maintain effectiveness in a changing environment and the willingness to respond quickly and positively to change and to lead others through change and manage their concerns
- Leadership and Team Building Skills: The ability to provide vision, direction, allocate responsibilities, delegate and motivate staff in one’s team, to include leading by example
- Integrity: The ability to consistently demonstrate sound ethical standards, observe the codes of conduct for employees and codes of professional practice, and show consistency between established values and behaviours, in order to build trust and credibility
- Use of Technology: The ability to accept and implement information technology in work activities to enhance organisational performance
- Emotional Intelligence: Possession of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and social skills – The ability to display behaviours appropriate to the AGD’s business and social environment
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting /Management Studies with Accounting or BBA from a recognized University, or ACCA Level 2, or related;
- Six (6) years’ experience in a related field with at least two (2) years in a similar position;
- Special consideration to be given to individuals with an Associate of Science Degree in Accounting, MIND, along with Diploma in Government Accounting, MIND and a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in accounting.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- Will be required to travel locally and internationally (up to 80%);
- Pressured working conditions with numerous critical deadlines.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.