The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Data Management (Level 7)
Job SummaryApplications are invited from suitably qualified candidates to fill the post of Manager, Data Management (Level 7) in the Tax Administration Jamaica (TAJ).
To manage TAJ’s data in a manner to optimize business usage and governance throughout the organization; develop and implement standards and procedures necessary to create the proper framework for database management and for effective interaction with users, while promoting quality awareness among them
- Provides leadership, support and guidance to all staff to ensure that the Unit is effectively managed;
- Develops the Operational and Work Plans with the supporting budget for the Unit, ensuring that all the relevant activities to be undertaken and required resources are considered;
- Plans, co-ordinates and directs all the activities of the functional areas;
- Establishes and enforces standards and rules of professional conduct for staff within the Unit in order to maintain the highest degree of confidence in its integrity and efficiency;
- Ensures staff is aware of and operates in accordance with all relevant laws, policies;
- Maintains effective working relations with external and internal stakeholders and customers, ensuring that the Unit provides a consistently high level of service to them.
- Oversees the development and design of database strategies, system monitoring and improving database performance and capacity;
- Develops and implements standards and procedures necessary to create the proper framework for database management and for effective interaction with users;
- Monitors periodic systems audits conducted to ensure conformance with standards;
- Develops, manages and maintains a range of databases;
- Reviews transaction logs versus system/database modification to determine authenticity of transactions;
- Prepares and presents data from existing database systems for decision making;
- Represents TAJ in Court on matters of fraud in defense of the authenticity of the organizations data and the processes surrounding its creation, use and storage;
- Oversees the quality assurance process surrounding new and existing systems within the organization;
- Identifies and introduces measures to improve data quality within the organization;
- Collaborates with the Programmer Analysts (Developers) and Business Analysts to design and create the database structure for new systems and existing systems;
- Conducts research on database technology trends and submits recommendations and/or reports on significant findings to supervisor for follow-up evaluation;
- Keeps abreast of trends and developments in Information Technology;
- Develops database dictionary and other related manuals and assists in the delivery of training in collaboration with the Human Resource Development (HRD) Unit;
- Manages the set up and testing of new database and data handling systems;
- Monitors database efficiency;
- Promotes data quality awareness across multiple staff profiles e.g. Managers and operational staff;
- Works in collaboration with the Business Users to develop protocols for data processing that ensures the greatest level of accuracy of data capture, processing and output;
- Creates query definitions that allow data to be extracted;
- Keeps abreast of contracts with data collection software vendors and maintains a close working relationship with them;
- Oversees the installation and roll-out of all database vendors’ updates;
- Provides on-going consultation and technical assistance.
- Excellent knowledge of relational database management systems
- Excellent knowledge of database design
- Excellent understanding of Structured Query Language (SQL)
- Excellent knowledge of database software/web applications
- Excellent knowledge of Tax Administration Jamaica operations, functions and Code of Conduct
- Excellent decision-making, planning and organizing skills
- Excellent negotiating and/or advocacy skills
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills
- Very good time management skills
Minimum Required Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science/Information Technology or the equivalent qualification;
- Specialized training in Database Management and Quality Assurance;
- Four (4) years’ experience in Database Management or related area.
Special Conditions Associated with the Job
- May be required to work outside of normal working hours and adverse working conditions;
- Travel (30% - 40%).
Salary range $3,224,336 - $3,965,526 per annum and any allowance(s) attached to the post.
Please note that only short listed applicants will be contacted.