The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Health Sector Human Resource Planning and Development Unit
Job SummaryThe incumbent in this position is responsible for providing advice and support to the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Health in planning for and anticipating the demand and supply needs for human resources in health.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises the Permanent Secretary on matters related to and affecting the proper supply of and the effective utilization of health personnel.
- Engages in strategic human resource planning and policy formation to support the delivery of effective health care.
- Works with the Regional Health Authorities in the development of effective forecasts of their demand for health personnel to become part of a national plan.
- Works with the Regional Health Authorities in the development and maintenance of efficient personnel record keeping strategies for easy retrieval of the information of planning purposes (standardization of the format in which the data is kept).
- Monitors and evaluates national workforce development activities and make recommendations to the Executive of the Ministry of Health on filling gaps in training and development that negatively impacts the health human resource needs of the country.
- Provides advice on the management of health workers in the Regional Health Authorities which may be highlighting weaknesses in the health system.
- Assists in the building of collaborative relationships between labour, health regulatory organizations and health services.
- Works with education and training institutions to ensure the skill set needs of the Ministry of Health and Regional Health Authorities are addressed, as required by the Executive of the Ministry of Health.
- Liaises with other Ministries and stakeholders to improve the local supply of health workers.
- Works with stakeholders in the development of policy on human resources for health.
- Manages the Health Sector Human Resource Planning and Development Unit.
- Conducts relevant research as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong leadership abilities
- Ability to present and explain facts and recommendations clearly and logically orally and in writing
- Ability to plan, organise and direct a programmes and make recommendations
- Ability to engage in active listening
- Ability to foster strong interpersonal relationships
- Ability to apply project management principles to the conduct of the job responsibilities
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving abilities
- Self-directed with the ability to quickly understand complex organizations and how they can maximize the potential of their human resources
- Knowledge of administrative practices and procedures and of relevant policies and regulations in the public sector
- Knowledge of research methodology and practices
Minimum Qualifications, Education and Experience
- Masters or Post Graduate Degree in Human Resource Management. Business Administration, or related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience working at a senior level in a human resource management environment.
- Must be able to effectively manage a Unit for the delivery of results.
- Must have a strong research background.
- Must have strong project management experience.
- Skilled in the use of personal computers
We thank all applicants for their interest. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the positions will be contacted.