The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Management Information Systems (MIS)
Job SummaryResponsible to manage, direct and coordinate the information technology functions of the Bureau of Standards Jamaica (BSJ) including the development, maintenance and support of all computer systems, software, EDI, communications and the BSJ’s website
- Manage the IT and Network infrastructures which include servers, databases, workstations, terminals, switches etc.
- Manage the research and evaluation of purchases, install, configure and troubleshoot all hardware peripherals and equipment necessary to meet integrated systems objectives.
- Manage the software development needs of the BSJ incorporating research, evaluation, development, configuration, troubleshooting, testing and installation of the work carried out using internal or external developers.
- Consult and liaise closely with the Executive and Divisional Managers on all information technology and communications matters and activities.
- Develop and implement the BSJ’s information technology and communications policy and procedures.
- Ensure that information technology, communications and office systems applications meet the BSJ’s and its customers’ requirements.
- Maintains the BSJ’s Website site.
- Consult with Government and other authorities to establish EDI communications for the exchange of information as required by the statutory authorities.
- Ensure that all communications and EDI software and hardware systems are secure and properly protected from viruses and other malicious interference.
- Negotiate contracts with and coordinate the activities of hardware, software, telecommunications and support and training vendors.
- Keep up to date with, research and evaluate new technologies.
- Maintain contacts with relevant IT industry organizations.
- Promote the BSJ’s systems and assist customers and other users of the systems to obtain maximum benefit
- Arrange training of the users the equipment and software.
- Ensure all equipment is properly maintained and all software correctly licensed
- Manage the Department’s human, fiscal and other resources.
- Plan for future development in line with strategic business objectives.
- Ensure that goods and services are procured in a timely manner in accordance with the GOJ Guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required:
- Working knowledge of moderns server systems Windows Server 2008, 2012 Enterprise and Standards Editions, ORACLE, SQL, Windows 7 & 10 Workstations and WAN, LAN administration
- Working knowledge of Copyright and Intellectual Property requirements
- Knowledge of office systems and technology
- Working knowledge of Jamaican Labour Laws
- Good supervisory management techniques and practices
- Working knowledge of government procurement guidelines
- Effective organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal/ human relations and written and oral communication skills
- Excellent team and customer service skills
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing priorities to a high level of accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
Minimum Qualification and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology
- At least five (5) years’ experience working in the IT field with at least three (3) years being at the managerial level
- Certificate in Supervisory Management
- Experience or Certificate in Project Management would be an asset
- Programming language HMTL, STHML, C++ and C
- Network Plus Certification
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert or other Microsoft certification to include Server, Desktop, SharePoint and Messaging Infrastructures
- Strong Operational and Administrative skills
- Experience in implementing IT and communication systems in a project environment
- Proven track record in organizational IT management in a 24hr operational environment
Please note that while we appreciate all applications, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted