The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager, Networks and Infrastructure
Job SummaryThe incumbent is required to manage the operations, maintenance and development of the technology infrastructure and communications networks of a large Ministry/Department, under the direction of the ICT Director.
Duties include: delivering secure IT operations; developing high availability technology infrastructure; providing network operations and network management; managing messaging services; managing and maintaining the data centre infrastructure; delivering ICT infrastructure projects; meeting and exceeding targeted service and availability levels; and supervising professional, technical and support employees.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Produces network and system designs, policies, strategies, architectures and specifications for the networks and technologies required to support the business requirements and ICT strategy of the Ministry/Department.
- Creates the network and communications plans for the Ministry/Department, establishes related service level agreements, and plans the IT infrastructure to deliver network and communications services to meet these agreements.
- Manages the provision of network maintenance and support services, including the resolution of network problems and requests for support.
- Manages the networking and infrastructure projects of the Ministry/Department, including the identification and mitigation of project risk; ensures quality and timeliness in project delivery and facilitates effective utilisation of resources.
- Manages the installation, testing, commissioning/decommissioning of system software, hardware, communications and networking infrastructure in accordance with agreed quality and safety plans.
- Manages the operations, control, usage and maintenance of the ICT infrastructure of the Ministry/Department in accordance with agreed standards and procedures; and ensures that agreed service levels are met.
- Negotiates service level agreements for network and infrastructure components, diagnoses service delivery problems, and initiates action to maintain and continuously improve the levels of service delivery.
- Coordinates the planning, designing and testing of maintenance procedures and contingency plans to address the availability, integrity and confidentiality of the ICT which supports critical business processes of the Ministry/Department, and ensures that agreed levels of continuity are maintained.
- Conducts security risk assessments and business impact analyses for all information systems and computer installations within the Ministry/Department, and implements appropriate security strategies and controls.
- Monitors information technology service component capacity and initiates action to resolve any shortfall in accordance with agreed policies and procedures.
- Implements disaster recovery plans for testing of recovery procedures and ensures that the network and infrastructure meet all agreed performance targets and service levels.
- Monitors the application of, and compliance with, security operations procedures; and reviews information systems for breaches in security and takes appropriate action.
- Monitors the ICT marketplace to understand new and emerging hardware and software technologies and products such cloud computing, SaaS and data analytics; and assesses their relevance and potential value to the Ministry/Department.
- Oversees the administration of the acquisition, storage, distribution and movement of IT assets throughout the Ministry/Department.
- Keeps abreast of developments in IT network infrastructure, computer networks, messaging and communications infrastructure in order to provide advice regarding their application.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, tools and techniques required for the management and control of ICT within an organisation.
- Considerable knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
- Some knowledge of relevant financial and procurement processes, rules and regulations.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to manage multi-disciplinary teams and technical staff.
- Ability to think creatively and to implement leading-edge technology solutions.
- Ability to negotiate and manage complex technical contracts.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to manage change in the public sector.
- Ability to promote teamwork and to manage conflict.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to interact positively with members of the public and external stakeholders.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience at a management level in the area of ICT, including at least two (2) years in the development, implementation, management and operation of networks/communications infrastructure and data centre technology/infrastructure.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Systems Management, Computer Engineering or a related area.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience performing at a management level in the area of ICT, including at least four (4) years in the development, implementation, management and operation of networks/communications infrastructure and data centre technology/infrastructure.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a recognised Bachelor’s degree.
- Certification in the area of ICT from a recognized institution.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience performing at a management level in the area of ICT, in addition to at least five (5) years’ experience in the development, implementation, management and operation of networks/communications infrastructure and data centre technology/infrastructure.
- Training as evidenced by the possession of a two-year Diploma/Certificate in the area of IT from a recognised institution.
We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those persons, who meet the minimum qualifications and experience required for the position will be contacted.