The Caribbean's Premier Career Network
Manager Policy, Planning and Research
Job SummaryThe Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (the Authority) invites applications from dynamic, forward-thinking individuals for the position of Manager Policy, Planning and Research.
- To provide advice on regulatory policy and planning matters and develop, formulate and/or implement comprehensive policies, plans, procedures and frameworks consistent with international best practices and regulations under the Telecommunications Act Chap. 47:31.
- To ensure strategic and operational corporate performance requirements are documented, monitored and updated via the establishment and maintenance of corporate planning/reporting systems.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Recommend policies that conform to the Authority’s strategic mandate to guide, direct and monitor the telecommunications and broadcasting industry.
- Coordinate the development and revision of policies, procedures, plans, frameworks, consultation documents and decisions, to ensure applicability to evolving trends in the telecommunications and broadcasting sectors.
- Liaise with other national, regional and international agencies on policy development for the telecommunications and broadcasting sectors.
- Ensure consistency and strategic alignment of the Authority’s policy-related documents with national policies that guide, direct and monitor the telecommunication and broadcasting industry.
- Monitor the interpretation of policies, assess their effectiveness and recommend appropriate programs to ensure the Authority’s objectives are achieved.
- Make recommendations and where necessary draft terms of references for consultants to assist in policy or policy-related process development that conform to the Authority’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Coordinate the conduct of primary and secondary research and validation of findings as well as analysis of data and statistical information to inform the development of policies and plans.
- Facilitate policy awareness and development through research, workshops or the preparation of occasional reports and briefs on specific policy-related issues.
- Facilitate the exchange of policy ideas among team members and between the Authority and stakeholder organizations as required.
- Monitor and/or participate in the activities and work of the relevant international and regional telecommunications and broadcasting regulatory bodies, and ensure that emerging recommendations from these groups are considered in the Authority’s policy development activities.
- Monitor, assess and review, where appropriate, regional and international regulatory frameworks to determine trends, their impact and their application to local policy objectives.
- Review all policy recommendations and other department-related documents and reports prior to submission to the department’s Executive Officer and the Chief Executive Officer.
- Coordinate and facilitate the Strategic Planning and Annual Operational Planning process for the Authority.
- Construct, monitor and report on the implementation of activities set out in the Authority’s Strategic and operational plans to ensure timely completion of activities.
- Develop strategic planning and evaluation reports for Management and the Board of Directors.
- Disseminate information to all Divisions on achievement of strategic and operational objectives.
- Manage and coordinate the activities of the Policy, Planning & Research Department in consultation with the Division Head and provide advice, guidance, coaching and on the job training for staff as required.
- Ensure a safe and harmonious work environment by treating with staff issues and resource requirements in a consistent and timely manner in accordance with the Authorities policies and procedures.
- Set performance objectives, monitor goal attainment and conduct staff performance appraisals in accordance with the performance management system.
- Perform other related duties as required by job function.
Qualifications and Experience
- Recognised Master’s and Bachelor’s Degrees in Social Sciences, Economics, Engineering, Law, Policy Development and Research or related field.
- Recognised Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Master’s Degree in Regulatory Policy would be an asset.
- Qualifications in Strategic Planning would be an asset.
- Minimum of six (6) years’ experience in policy development, or planning at a managerial level or equivalent, of which a minimum of three (3) years includes supervising professional staff.
Professional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of:
- International telecommunications and broadcasting markets, policies, legislation and regulations
- International trends in the telecommunications and broadcasting markets with respect to policies, technologies and services
- Formulation of developmental and strategic policies
- Internationally recognized ICT tools for development
- Strategic planning and project management
- Research methods and practices and analysis techniques
- Skills & Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written o Strong report writing skills
- Operates as a team player, shares knowledge and contributes willingly to team efforts o Ability to work in a dynamic environment and under well-defined timelines
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with all stakeholders
- Displays initiative in keeping abreast of policy and technological changes in the telecommunications sector
- Strong leadership, managerial and team development capabilities